Thread: 15" Cooke Knuckler with sinar board/shutter

15" Cooke Knuckler with sinar board/shutter

Does series II, IIa, IIb fit on sinar board? Can it be used with sinar shutter without obstruction?

Re: 15" Cooke Knuckler with sinar board/shutter

I have a 13" Series VI f/5.6, which is nowhere near the size of the knucklers you asked about. However, referring to page 14 of this catalog: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/cooke_2.html shows "R.P.S.Standard Flange-screw" for my lens as 2 3/4 inches. When I measure my lens, that is just about the diameter over the threads on the outside of the lens barrel. The hole through the lens flange is slightly smaller. The outer diameter of the flange is 3 5/8 inches. The lens isn't mounted on a Sinar board, but it looks like it would stick out from the rear face of a Sinar board approx. 1/4". Maybe using the "Standard Flange-screw" size for the larger aperture series lenses will give you an idea whether or not they come close to fitting a Sinar board. I once made a spacer from aircraft plywood when I needed to use a large diameter flange on a small lens board, so that is an option.The sides of a lens flange can be milled down a bit to clear the lens board retainers, too.

I don't have a Sinar shutter (not yet) for my Norma. Does anyone know the depth from the back of a flat board to the face of the Sinar shutter? I suppose it isn't very much, but I have no idea what it may be.

Len

I have a Heliar 360mm without flange, and I have it custom mounted on a sinar board, so that the rear doesn't stick out of the board plane to avoid hitting sinar shutter.

Ask don12X20. He mounted an 18" Series VI which I believe is the same thread as a 15 Series II. Don't know if he had to "thread" the lensboard and not use a flange, or what.

Does anyone know the depth from the back of a flat board to the face of the Sinar shutter?
    17 mm but its saver to go not over 15mm in my opinion, because of the little pin for the DBM lens f-stops!

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Ask don12X20. He mounted an 18" Series VI which I believe is the same thread as a 15 Series II. Don't know if he had to "thread" the lensboard and not use a flange, or what.
    It is mounted via flange on 171x171 Arca Swiss flat lensboard. Fits both my 8x10 arcas and the Canham 7x17/12x20(which I had Keith build for Arca boards back in 1994). I don't know the thread pitch of the flange.
    I'll have to dig it out of the safe tonight. Its not on Sinar board and I don't know the dimensions of Sinar Shuttar.
    Beautiful lens -- coated too. Jim can fill in the history - it was privately coated and built by one of the Cooke owners, I believe.
    Heavy. I wouldn't trust it just threaded into the lensboard.

eddie has a 15" f3.5 It looks too big for a Sinar board. you definitely can mount the f5.6 version with the flange. I have a Series VI 16" f5.6 mounted to a sinar board. the f4.5 may need to be threaded directly to the board. maybe someone has one and can measure it for you.

funkadelic

I had a 16" Series II (f4.5) Cooke, pre-knuckler era, that came without a flange. SK Grimes was able to make a flange to fit a Sinar board, but it was close to the edges. I don't think that the f3.5 version would fit.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

I think if you took it to a welder, or metal worker they could knock some thing up pretty quick, its really just a case of putting a spacer between the two boards.

and if its to heavy, use a monopod underneath it, or have the same guy weld a half circle of steel with a nut the same thread as the camera would normally screw into, if you follow me, to click into the monopod, i know manfrotto make one.

i'll be experimenting the same way with my sinar when i can afford a nice brassy,

good luck
    through a glass darkly...