Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many years have you being doing LF photography?

How many years have you being doing LF photography?

MF 9 years, LF 16 months. Mainly b&w using the Ebony 45S whenever I can. When I can't, it's the Rolleiflex 2.8 GX (phenomenal camera, IMHO!)

10 years...started with old bent up cambo 4x5, then picked up an old banged up Linhof tech 4, and 3 years ago purchased a nice 8x10 Canham light weight. I used to draw, had shows after university, did a lot of printmaking (lithography) but that all stopped when I got hooked on photography. Maybe someday I'll combine my photography with lithography.

About eight years. I started with a Linhof Technikardan. I didn't like the camera at all and that put me off of large format photography for about six months. Fortunately I decided not to give up, sold the Technikardan, bought a Tachihara, and have been at it ever since. I eventually replaced the Tachihara and also added a 5x7 and then an 8x10. 8x10 is great if you can handle the weight.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

It was 1973 or 1974. I had saved up enough to get a Yahica Mat-124G, and needed an enlarger for the bigger negs. There was a classified ad for a D-2 in the local paper. I happened to mention the the seller that I couldn't use its full capacity, and he drags out a Pacemaker Speed. Paid $50 for it with a 135 Optar and a few holders. He spent about ten minutes explaining how to load holders, and work the Graphic. A year or so later, I picked up a 90 Raptar for $100 from one of the camera store bums, er regulars. 1976 saw the aquisition (a gift) of a Kodak Master View that had been worked to death by an old New Oleans pro.

I spent the next decade or so working in MF (the Yashica had been replaced by a Koni-Omegaflex outfit)when for some reason I dug out the old Master View, mail ordered a recessed board for the 90, and started shooting chromes. Color and the Raptar didn't get along well at all with each other, so started saving for some modern glass. Jim at Midwest sold me a 210 Sironar-N and 90 Caltar II-N. Upon seeing my first chromes with these lenses my doom was assured.

I have since aquired a Wisner Tech, a real tripod (Ries), and a 16 1/2" RD Apo-Artar. The Master View was given to a deserving LF newbie.

A 150 and a 105(until the wife threw the storage box away thinking it was something else)

...and how is the replacement wife doing? D

I started LF in the late 70's but have been doing photography since around '65 and I am on my 10th anniversary of my 36th birthday. My Dad brought me in his hobby darkroom when I was 10 and it was instant love. I can still feel the magic of watching the print come up in the tray and my wife is instructed only to pry my Linhof out of my dead rigamorticed hands and give to my son when that day comes (that and embalm me in Dektol LOL).

I was a senior in High School in 1981 when I bought my Speed Graphic. I tried a couple of medium format cameras during the 80's. I liked them but there was something missing. So in 1990 I made the move up to 8x10. Within two years of shooting 8x10 I started shooting 11x14 and 8x20. Now I shoot mostly 8x10 and 8x20. But I have to say I did shoot with medium format camera this past weekend and it was fun. I do kind of miss the ease of use of the smaller formats, but I love to see those big negatives.

Almost three years ago. I had bought a mediumformat camera a few month before and while searching for an enlarger I stumbled over a L1200 durst....which is....capable of 4x5".......

since 1996, started out with an old 5X7 Korona, then bought a 4X5 Wisner Tech. I found a 8X10 Calumet C-1 and have used that for 5 years.

Dave Karp

I have been at LF about 4 years now, after a couple of years of research, reading and saving. I wish I started sooner! I have been doing photography (mostly black and white) almost as far back as I can remember, and this LF stuff is such great fun. Started with a used Calumet 45NX, then picked up a used Cambo 45SF almost a year ago. A friend gave me a Crown Graphic (in great shape) that was sitting in his garage forever. I use the both Cambo and the Crown in the field (day hikes only). The Crown is for times when I want to carry less weight, or when I have to be quicker than I can be when using the monorail. I use it with a 125mm Fujinon W and either a 210mm Caltar II-E or Nikkor 300M and it makes a great field camera. Of course, now I have the bug for a folding field camera that has a bit more movement than the Crown. Plus a bug for an 8x10 camera. Do we all catch these bugs?