Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How many years have you being doing LF photography?

How many years have you being doing LF photography?

When I bought my first LF camera about four years ago I was on the receiving end of quite a few opinions by those who knew me. The most common thought was that "This was just a phase and would not last. Give him a year or so of carrying that thing around and he'll be back to 35mm in no time!"

Well I have demonstrated that this is not the case. In fact if anything I am really catching the LF bug. I am now seeking out a larger (8x10) camera and have just started down the road to Pt/Pd printing.

So I am curious.

How many of the people here have been doing this for quite some time and how many are newcomers? Has anybody given up on LF?

Perhaps for you old timers a quick blurp on "How it all began?" might be an interesting touch. Just for the record I am 48 years young and still packing that gear sometimes 5 kilometers into the mountains and back.

Kind Regards,

Since 1984... started with a Wista and one normal lens, which was a good way to learn.

I bought a 3-1/4"x4-1/4" Speed Graphic in college, around 1977, for $70. And have never looked back....

1967. Hollywood, California (almost before smog) Photo school commanded me to purchase one 4x5 view camera, 210mm lens, six holders. All work was required to be done with 4x5 Plus-X in D-76, printed on 11x14 Medalist SW fiber paper developed in Dektol. In 37 years the equipment and materials don't seem to have improved much...

Since early 2002. A rewarding and expensive couple of years.

It sounds as if you might be related to my father-in-law. He was and still is quite free with his opinion about my LF gear. "Takes too much time to set up, takes too much time to shoot, too heavy, too expensive blah blah blah" He is also against the use of a tripod. Needless to say I do not look to this man for any photographic advise.

I started about 6 years ago with a Galvin then a Busch Pressman I call the tank because you could not hurt it if you tried. A 150 and a 105(until the wife threw the storage box away thinking it was something else) Now a 135.

I started with LF using a 4x5 Super Graphic, which I still have, about 7 years ago. Last year I built a B & W darkroom in my house, and bought an old Eastman 2D 8x10, with both 8x10 and 5x7 backs. Since then all I use is the 8x10, contact printing the negatives. I've stopped using 35mm, and 120 film cameras altogether for work I will process and print. At 57 years old, I often think of scaling back to a 5x7, but as long as I can haul around the 8x10, I think I'll continue to use it. I don't think you'll regret moving up to 8x10.

Started in the Navy with a Speed Graphic in 1962.....used LF continuously ever since.

Since 1982 -- started with a brand spanking new Calumet 400 model with 22-inch bellows. Came as a package deal from Calumet with a 210mm lens, dark cloth, case and loupe (which I still use). I started using a Wista DX about 10 years ago, but still miss the feel of a monorail. As an aside, I'm treated like some odd duck-Matthew Brady by the pixel boys down at my local camera store, who think I'm an idiot for still shooting film -- much less sheet film - and getting my hands wet in a darkroom. "Film and darkroom stuff will be gone in a few years," they keep telling me.

Since 1951! With a "WW2 Liberated" 9x12 rosewood and brass Gaumont & Cie. Just last month, while cleaning my Mother's attic after she moved to a nursing home, I discovered a shoebox with many negatives and prints from those first two years, (before I traded for a 35mm Japanese Leica copy). Got my first Graphic View II the following year.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)