Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous price on 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar

Ridiculous price on 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar

There is a 1955 vintage 14" Commercial Ektar on the big auction site right now, and the seller has a buy it now price of $900. Would anyone in their right mind pay that?

Re: Ridiculous price on 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    There is a 1955 vintage 14" Commercial Ektar on the big auction site right now, and the seller has a buy it now price of $900. Would anyone in their right mind pay that?
    No.... but being in their right mind is not necessarily a characteristic of eBay buyers - including yours truly....

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    No.... but being in their right mind is not necessarily a characteristic of eBay buyers - including yours truly....
    Ha, ha!!!

I passed on one for $200 once. I wish I hadn't.

Someone probably just posted that one so that all the other $600 Buy-It-Nows look reasonable.

Not!

Someone with very little experience and driven by LFPF lens mania probably wouldnt even blink. Thats why I hate all the lens spruiking that goes on here, it breed's suckers to buy overpriced glass, from slightly more worldly lens maina suckers selling to recover some money from previous mistakes or to finance the next madness.

funkadelic

If people are chasing magic bullets instead of going after a certain "look", lenses have more effect on an image than cameras. Cameras are also the subject of the same madness of which you speak.

You have to wonder what the sellers are thinking when you see those ridiculous prices. There is a guy on ebay trying to sell a Cambo lens shade for 900.00. And everything is "RARE", or better yet, "VERY RARE". I have scored some great deals on ebay from honest, fair people. We just have put up with the crap as well. That 900.00 Ektar will sit there until the seller drops the price down to where it should be. Or, maybe someone will buy it, and the seller will laugh all the way to the paypal window.

That's just it: there's nothing to stop someone from asking far too much for a piece of equipment, and there's nothing stopping someone from paying too much, either. It's only a rip-off is the item is misrepresented. Caveat emptor.

Consulting the pineal gland

It sometimes seems to me that market forces have conspired to create a situation in which moderately overpriced items seem an excellent value compared to absurdly overpriced items like this lens.