Thread: Recalibrating Meters

Recalibrating Meters

Greetings LF'ers. I recently picked up a new (to me, anyway) Soligor spotmeter to replace the one I'd been using for many years. Same make and model, just much cleaner and in better condition. However, there is a discrepancy of less than 1/2 of a stop between the two of them. Is there an adjustment on the meter that will just tune it to read the same, or do I have to go through a new film testing procedure? It seems to be consisitently different across the range.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: Recalibrating Meters

Usually there is a small screw for that. A Soligorowners manual should have the particulars.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John, don't confuse the zero adjustment with a calibration adjustment. They aren't the same, although the zero adjustment could be the culprit.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Greetings LF'ers. I recently picked up a new (to me, anyway) Soligor spotmeter to replace the one I'd been using for many years. Same make and model, just much cleaner and in better condition. However, there is a discrepancy of less than 1/2 of a stop between the two of them. Is there an adjustment on the meter that will just tune it to read the same, or do I have to go through a new film testing procedure? It seems to be consisitently different across the range.
    If you have both meters in hand, there is no need to re-test the film.

When you set up for your zone 1 image, point both meters at the target. Adjust the ISO/ASA of the new meter to match the reading of the previously tested meter. You are done.

In terms of getting both to read exactly the same, well you know the old saying "man with one watch knows the time, man with two watches does not..."

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    If you have both meters in hand, there is no need to re-test the film.

When you set up for your zone 1 image, point both meters at the target. Adjust the ISO/ASA of the new meter to match the reading of the previously tested meter. You are done.

In terms of getting both to read exactly the same, well you know the old saying "man with one watch knows the time, man with two watches does not..."
    Hmmm. That was too easy. No wonder I didn't think of it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!