Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: LFF Show at Freestyle

Re: LFF Show at Freestyle

Don't really want to bug them about it. They were considering giving us three spaces. They were going to measure and figure out approx. number of prints that could be hung.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

A Large Format Photography Exhibition by members of this forum is a good idea but it should be restricted to show-casing members current work and not be restricted to a single exhibition at a small camera store such as Freestyle. It should be an international traveling exhibition. Here is what I suggest:

1. That the submission be limited to those that are, or have, actively participated in the forums annual print exchange. This will insure that the work will be truly representative of the typical forum member and not that of a politically connected member.
    2. That venues be chosen and volunteers selected to handle the necessary logistics to service that particular location including:

a. Identifying and securing a suitable exhibition venue .
    b. Providing the necessary advertising and marketing tasks for the event
    c. Receiving the prints and insuring that they are displayed appropriately.
    d. Returning or forwarding the prints to the proper destination.

If you stop and think about it, it is not as difficult as it first seems.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Don't really want to bug them about it. They were considering giving us three spaces. They were going to measure and figure out approx. number of prints that could be hung.
    Thanks Kirk

Before I start, please excuse my spelling and punctuation. I just finished painting and do not have the mental or physical energy to go to a computer with spellcheck and all those other fancy gismos that keep me from apearing as an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    A Large Format Photography Exhibition by members of this forum is a good idea but it should be restricted to show-casing members current work and not be restricted to a single exhibition at a small camera store such as Freestyle.
    We don't have a show at Freestyle or anywhere else at the moment and right now freestyle is the only venue considering us.....so if you think Freestyle is little more than a small camera store then do not submit an image.

It should be an international traveling exhibition.

I would be all over that and would be happy to represent.

Here is what I suggest:
    1. That the submission be limited to those that are, or have, actively participated in the forums annual print exchange. This will insure that the work will be truly representative of the typical forum member and not that of a politically connected member.
    Perfectely fine if we were puting a print exchange show together, but we are not.

2. That venues be chosen and volunteers selected to handle the necessary logistics to service that particular location including:
    Wonderfull idea, it seems so simple

I was involved with a group of like minded artists for a number of years. We were a group of about 30, give or take. Our mandate was to produce one exceptional show each year with maybe one or two spinoff shows from the major show. We met as a group (the organizers, 15 or so of us) once a month for about 4 hours to ensure everything was on track and our individual committies were acomplishing what was necessary. The month of the show we usualy met once or twice a week so the total hours between us was in excess of 800 each year. If you add volunteer time (friends & family) it would easily quadrupple.

Thomas

So yeah.......If you stop and think about it, it is not as difficult as it first seems.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I was at Freestyle yesterday and Ted Orland has his work hanging. He has 49 images up.

A Large Format Photography Exhibition by members of this forum is a good idea but it should be restricted to show-casing members current work and not be restricted to a single exhibition at a small camera store such as Freestyle. It should be an international traveling exhibition. Here is what I suggest:

Thomas
    Holy Christ!!!

Thomas, if you think it is all that easy, then MAKE IT HAPPEN.

As a former gallery/show owner/operator, I can say with verifiable experience, that you are full of it. Please, not for me (certainly not for me), but for the sake of anyone you care about in the arts (or photography if you perceive an artistic difference), or yourself, prove me wrong. And you can make entries as restrictive as you like.

P.S. I apologize ahead of time if your post was actually meant to be a joke.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm not suggesting not to exhibit at Freestyle but lets face it Freestyle is a camera store and there are many camera stores with similar or even greater space for exhibitions that could be approached. For example Keeble and Shuchat in Pala Alto has a space similar to Freestyle's and they routinely pack in 60 or 80 persons at a time to be pitched by various factory reps. As another example Calumet in San Francisco has a even larger space where I've seen gigantic B&W prints on display that must have been 10'x10' in dimension. The camera stores would make a likely venue because the event would attract their customers - photographers - that purchase their products.

However the camera store is not the only possibility out there - locations that would attract a broader spectrum of the viewing public. Finding them requires making phone calls and visiting sites.

Thomas

A Larger View, 2013.

Just to let you know where we are at. The exhibit is happening. The exhibit will be next year, exact dates unknown as yet. Allot is yet to be decided and I am traveling for the next couple of weeks so much will have to be done when I get back. But some things are moving forward. Freestyle has given us three spaces and a quantity of images that they can hang. So we have a quantity to jury towards-70 16x20s (full bleed or "matted to" size). The jury will be the following LFF members-myself, Merg Ross and Jan Pietrzak (all members of the Freestyle Board), three diverse and accomplished photographers-give them a break and don't bother Merg or Jan about the exhibit. Jurying will be blind in that no ID will accompany the files being juried. Allot of volunteers will be needed so think about it-some in the SF area and some online (for example someone to collect submission files put them in some identifiable order without names etc. and forward them on to the jurors), but don't send me your info yet. Don't know much or haven't made decisions about much else as yet.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Excellent news

At some point soon I will post a survey to test interest. This will help determine how many entries each person will be allowed. For example if we can hang 70 prints and 300 people say they want to participate we would set a different submission limit than if only 30 people say they are interested.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: