Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Workshops?

Re: Best Workshops?

I took a large format workshop from Tillman Crane at the Peters Valley Crafts Center in Layton, N.J. I thought it was well worth the price.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

The challenge you are going to face is that most workshops have switched over to digital. Finding a good film/darkroom workshop will be difficult. I think you might have more success on the West Coast.

I've done two workshops with Tillman Crane, and like Peter says, it's worth every penny. But his approach is Pt/Pd, and he doesn't usually do silver.

The best darkroom workshops I've taken have been with Bill Abranowicz. I haven't seen his name on the workshop circuit in many years.

Chip Forelli is another very good LF/darkroom person. And closer to Boston is David Vestal (in Connecticut the last I heard). He's getting on in years, but I think I saw him scheduled for a workshop last year at Photographer's Formulary.

A place to look for workshops is Peters Valley Craft Center in Layton, NJ.

as a result of this thread, just bought the book. Hoping that NH gets cold soon -- anticipated Snow/Ice workshop mid February with Barlow/Ritter???

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    And closer to Boston is David Vestal (in Connecticut the last I heard). He's getting on in years, but I think I saw him scheduled for a workshop last year at Photographer's Formulary.
    Yes, David's in Connecticut. He'll be 88 (!) this year. But AFAIK, the only workshop he's scheduled to do this year is another at the Formulary, in July:

http://www.workshopsinmt.com/Vestal-...-B-W-July.html

Read one of David's books - The Craft of Photography or The Art of Black and White Enlarging - and you'll both learn a bunch and get a good idea of his teaching style and sensibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Curtis View Post
    I love Ken's unassuming statement. "I'm fairly comfortable with B&W exposure and processing" That's like Tom Brady saying he is fairly comfortable being a quarterback.

Well put

A lot of good suggestions here. I would suggest Michael A Smith and Paula Chamlee. I have spent a lot of time with them, very good folks and they have excellent workshops. Located near Philly
    david

Bob

If you are willing to give up on the East coast restriction I think Don Kirby does just what you are asking for. He's great to work with based on several workshops he has either run or helped Bruce Barnbaum with that I have taken.

http://www.donkirby.com/workshops.php

retrogrouchy

Derail: can anyone recommend workshops in Australia?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ken, I might take you up on that, it's a kind offer. I'll be in touch.

In Boston I would take a class with Nick Johnson at New England School of Photography in Kenmore Square. There is a dedicated group of B&W film shooters who take the evening workshops and are a good group. I printed there for 5 years till my day job brought me out of state.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.