Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35mm/120/220 reels for Jobo 2336?

35mm/120/220 reels for Jobo 2336?

I've hunted and found n prior threads on this. But has anyone ever put a 35mm, 120/220 reel in a Jobo 2336? That's the old tank that takes the 2021 4X5 reels. Every once in a while I want to mix different formats of the same film in a tank for efficiency. But I see no record of an "official" roll film reel for the 2336 tanks.

Anyone know if a 1501 will fit? And snugly enough on the core for rotary processing? Or maybe a Patterson?

Muchisimas gracias!
    "...some of the very best photography is useful only as juggling, theology or pure mathematics is useful -- that is to say, useless, except as nourishment for the human spirit." -- John Szarkowski

Re: 35mm/120/220 reels for Jobo 2336?

These were the old screw-lid tanks? Haven't used any for more than thirty years, but as I still use some of my old reels in the snap-on lid Jobos, they must have had the same outer and inner diameter. So reels and tanks should be interchangeable within the screw-lid period Jobos as well.

1501 are the narrow tank 135/120/220 reels. In Jobo speak, "1xxx" designates narrow diameter tanks and reels, "2xxx" are the wide diameter ones (and 3xxx the expert drums and paper drums).

Different first numbers don't mix as much as the components within a series. But central columns and other size-independent parts still are interchangeable, and narrow reels do indeed fit inside wide tanks - however for hand inversion only, as the innermost bits of film aren't submerged in developer in rotary processing (so it is NO as far as your question is concerned).

Thanks Sevo.

I have the old 2336 and a 2551. The 2336 is the screw type and more narrow than the 2551, but if the 1500-series reels will fit the central column then they will fit inside the tank. I'll pick up a couple 1501s and give 'er a try. Should work ratary as long as the tank is at least half full and the reels don't spin too loosely on the core.
    "...some of the very best photography is useful only as juggling, theology or pure mathematics is useful -- that is to say, useless, except as nourishment for the human spirit." -- John Szarkowski

Quote Originally Posted by cariocakev View Post
    I'll pick up a couple 1501s and give 'er a try. Should work ratary as long as the tank is at least half full and the reels don't spin too loosely on the core.
    They will sit tightly on the core, at least unless the latter has been worn down to destruction. But personally I'd be concerned that I might damage the lift with tanks that overloaded. Even more so if you should have a CPE2, whose lift is already creaking when loaded to full nominal capacity - a tank filled to column level would be about five times as heavy, and will break the lift sooner or later.

Could I afford a lift... I use either a Unicolor roller with the tank or float it in a water bath and hand roll it. Fortunately no lift problems.

So I think the actual reels I am looking for would be the 2001 reels or a variation on them. Can anyone confirm? Do those expand to 120 or are they 35mm only?

Quote Originally Posted by cariocakev View Post
    So I think the actual reels I am looking for would be the 2001 reels or a variation on them. Can anyone confirm? Do those expand to 120 or are they 35mm only?
    The current manual loading (and expanding) ones are 2502, the old ones available throughout the seventies and until the late eighties were 2004 - "Duo-Set" is another key word you'll want to watch out for, as these have the separator tab to use them with two 120 films.

I don't know whether there ever was a 2001 or whether that meant another non-reel accessory - the reels (for the narrow "1000" system) among mine that look like a generation older than the 2004 have a entirely different nomenclature with a leading zero. A 2501 existed, but that was a semi-automatic loader-only reel - these haven't been made for more than a decade, and the loaders are prone to break, so that working loaders are even harder to come by. I.e. nothing you want to buy any more.

Here's the 2001 reel -- a Uni-set for sale on fleabay in South Africa. It's bigger than a 1501 and smaller than a 2502. It seems like it will not expand to 120, though I am not sure. Perhaps the 2004 was expandable? I also saw references online to a Soligor-marketed Jobo reel from the 70s that expanded to 120. It might all be moot, though, as these things seem rare. Might have to buck up for a bigger 25xx tank than I have so I can mix my 2509 with a 2502 or two.

Forgot the link:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqZ,!hoE1hgrZ!)dBNpKY18GYg~~_35.JPG

Ah ok, that makes the 2001 the uni-set counterpart to the duo-set 2004 - it looks expandable, too. I can' make out whether it is smaller than a 2004 - it technically could do with a turn less or so (and it looks as if they'd done away with the inner space), as the length of one 135/220 is a bit less than that of two 120 (plus doubled margin), but in the 25xx series, the only difference between Uni- and Duo-Set was one tiny red tab (also sold as a spare for negligible cash) and the box. The 2004 is a little bit smaller than the 2502, but I always attributed that to differences in the plastics permitting a thinner wall strength. But IIRC Jobo also had some tanks that never were upward compatible to the lifts - maybe some of them had a mid size and the 2001 belongs to them.

Probably a bit late but, in case it is of interest of anybody else in the future, there it goes.

There is a 2336 like yours on its way to my hands, when it arrives I'll be able to confirm.

I have in front of me a 2236, which appears to be the same model but for a single 4x5 2021 reel. This 2236 comes with a 0205 core, which appears to be the same than the 2336, but shorter. For this tank, the reels I have for 35/120 is marked 2002 one half and 2003 the other (I guess that makes the set a 2001, and the reason why the next number for the next available set is 2004)

In addition to that, the 1001 set (I guess it's 1001, it's composed by 1002 and 1003) also fits the 0205 core. Only thing is that the diameter of the reel is shorter than the diameter of the tank or the 2001 set.