Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6x17...4x10

Re: 6x17...4x10

X-ray film --

Don't like it for my printing process. Due to having emulsion on both sides, I do not get as of sharp images when carbon printing as I get with regular film. It seemed fine for platinum printing which has a thinner 'emulsion'...and any lack of sharpness due to the negative is not noticable (to me) due to the inherent softening of the image caused by the texture of the watercolor paper.

Scratching x-ray film during processing is a worry, but changes in one's methods can keep them to a minimum.

Dakotah -- a 4x10 back on an 8x10 is a valid option, especially if one has the money for the back, holders and special-order film. And if one is working in a studio or not too far from the car. Otherwise a few grams for the modified darkslide (and 'free' if using a already damaged dark slide) allows one to carry two formats. Make that three formats if I ever get around to modifying a darkslide to make 8x8 images!

Carrying an 8x10 camera, an 8x10 back, a 4x10 back, 8x10 holders and 4x10 holders for a few miles would be a bit much for me! LOL! My 8x10 kit is already at around 60 pounds...not to mention space limitations!

A dedicated 4x10 camera would be fun to have -- camera and holders would be much lighter. But I rarely go out photographing with just panoramic images in mind.

I had to get the Toyo bag bellows in order to be able to use enough rise/fall to get the lens centred when using my 110 and 240mm lenses though..

I have a pile (15 or so) of older 4x5 film holders (metal trim on dark slides) that I'll sell if you want 4x5 dark slides . . .$5 each plus shipping.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!