Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live and learn: Old 9x12 folder with w/a lens

Live and learn: Old 9x12 folder with w/a lens

I didn't think such things existed, but here's one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/K-W-PATENT-ET...item336ba3a850

The lens seems to be original, not a retrofit. Nice and compact too. Who'd a thunk it?

Not mine and AFAIK I'm not acquainted with the seller.

Re: Live and learn: Old 9x12 folder with w/a lens

And a impressively retrofocal lens too, years before that principle got popular... ;-)

In other words, no, the lens does not seem to belong there - at least as presented, the camera does not look any shorter than the regular ones with 135mm Tessar and will be of little use with that lens. If any, it might be some half extension hack like on the pre bayonet mount Makinas, where a extra stop was added to arrest the front panel at a shorter extension - but it certainly is not presented in that state.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    In other words, no, the lens does not seem to belong there - at least as presented, the camera does not look any shorter than the regular ones with 135mm Tessar and will be of little use with that lens. If any, it might be some half extension hack like on the pre bayonet mount Makinas, where a extra stop was added to arrest the front panel at a shorter extension - but it certainly is not presented in that state.
    I think it could be real. As presented the bellows extension looks to be way to much for a 80mm lens but look where the indicator needle is on the distance scale. Imagine the camera with that needle on the infinity scale and it just could be about 80mm of extension. It also seems much thinner to me than other 9x12's I've seen- certainly thinner than the 135mm 9x12 I have.

Well, its a Patent Etui, the thinnest folder ever made, but I have never seen one with an 80mm lens. I am sure that lens is not original, as when I scale the photo I get the infinity mark around 135mm.

Sevo, Tim, you could well be right about originality and I could well be wrong. It it is a retrofit, guess focus won't work, only focusing on the GG.

Have to agree that somethin's rotten in denmark with this one. Looking at the short side of the bellows for a reference on the 90mm side of the glass compared to the distance out to the infinity mark.......It doesn't seem to add up.

As someone with a lot (my wife would say too many) 9x12 German folders I wonder if this isn't a mis-listed 6x9 camera. Hard to tell from looking at it, but the cameras, much like the 3x4 vs. the 4x5 Speed Graphics, scale up rather identically and unless there is a ruler or other item used for scale it can be hard to tell from the photos alone. I don't speak German but the listing doesn't appear to give any measurements.

Not owning any KW cameras myself, I could be wrong about this.

Jonathan, but then why a very wide angle lens?

I mean, I have a 100/6.3 Aristostigmat in barrel that should, if you believe the advertising claims, cover 5x7. It just isn't a good idea as a normal lens on my little 2x3 Speed Graphic.

I don't think it is a mislabeled 6.5x9. Ian G uses these and would know, if he is around.

Dang, this thread is dangerous. Now I'm surfing German ebay and I found ten Planfilmcassetten 6,5 x 9cm, AGFA. Just what I've been looking for, but unfortunately only for sale in the EU