Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upstate NY-Fishkill

Upstate NY-Fishkill

Hello,

I just moved base from Atlanta, GA to Fishkill, NY.

I was wondering if there are any nearby places which I could visit this weekend for nature/landscape/wildlife shooting?

I am in Fishkill, but weather permitting, I don't mind driving some ways off.

I would appreciate some advice from New Yorkers.....although I am well on my way to becoming one after 6 years in GA!

Thanks.

Avi
    Scientist by day and night, photographer in between.

Re: Upstate NY-Fishkill

You don't have to go far. Just grab your camera, get into your car,and take a ride. If you go into town, you will find beautiful old architecture everywhere. Or, since your into landscape, head toward the river, or any direction out of town. The possibilities are everywhere. It is a great area to take photographs. Also, with the snow coming in this evening, you will wake up to a winter wonderland just waiting to be photographed. Enjoy and welcome to NY.

Gilbert Plantinga

On your side of the river you can hit the Appalachian Trail. Or come on over here to New Paltz where there is the Mohonk Preserve and Minnewaska State Park.

Avi,

You are within spitting distance of Dia:Beacon and Storm King. Photographic opportunities abound. The Dia building itself, a former Nabisco factory, is worth photographing. And yes, Storm King isn't open this time of year, but nobody is going to stop you from walking onto the 500 acre grounds.

Dia:Beacon: http://www.diacenter.org/sites/main/beacon
    Storm King: http://stormking.org
    Last edited by r.e.; 20-Jan-2012 at 22:46.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

hello and welcome.

i am in New Paltz NY area. come on up and let sgo shooting. i know all the spots. you can not go wrong for the catskill area for nature, waterfalls, rocks etc.

there are plenty of old and really old (1600-1700) buildings here too. bridges etc.

fishing. hunting. flyfishing. hiking. rock climbing......etc etc

eddie

ps. better change that georga location you got.....how you enjoying the snow today?....and yesterday? drive slowly!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

You are now in the heart of the Hudson River School. The entire Hudson river valley is your subject. Why not start out with a trip to West Point and Storm King State Park? Enjoy.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Very near to you are some lesser know parks such as Dennings Point park and Madame Brett park in Beacon - very nice for just wandering around looking for intimate details. Do the Bull Hill loop hike and you encounter a variety of scenes from big vistas to a cool quarry to an abandoned farm with old overrun buildings. Check out Little Stony State Park from across the road from the trailhead for expansive views up and down the Hudson River.

Go across the Hudson River a short ways and you can shoot the Moodna Viaduct (one of the best scenes in the area) and wander around in Stewart State Forest.

This is just scratching the surface. You have tremendous opportunities without going more than 10 miles.

wow....looks like i am in an amazing place...definitely different from Atlanta.

Right now, it is snowing in Fishkill so that is a bummer.

Eddie...many thanks for your offer. I will definitely take you up on that. Would also love to learn photo techniques from you since LF is relatively new to me.

Thanks all for the wonderful recommendations. I hope to explore and enjoy NY over the next few years I will be here before I finally head home.

Thanks.

Avi
    Scientist by day and night, photographer in between.

You're already in the Hudson valley, so you've got some wonderful opportunities literally in your backyard. (as has been pointed out). To the north, you've got the Adirondack park, to the northwest you have the Finger Lakes, all great spots.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoanalyst View Post
    Right now, it is snowing in Fishkill so that is a bummer.
    Snow can be great for photography. Especially look for amazing light as the storm clears out. Sunrise tomorrow morning could be really special.