Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polaroid type 55

Polaroid type 55

Download the free tutorial from http://www.georgedewolfe.com/largeformatpage.html

It has a section on 55film

Øyvind

Polaroid type 55

Dr. C.P. Goerz and others have referred to Ansel Adams' 1978 book "Polaroid Land Photography." Alas, it is out of print. Happily, however, it is still available from e-bookstores and brick-and-mortar bookstores as used.

The e-bookstores I checked display prices that vary widely, to be nice about it. In view of such a wide price spread, I offer the following: I purchased my used copy, in very good/excellent condition, complete with clear cover over the original dust jacket, also in good condition, from a local used bookstore in Ann Arbor (my home town!) for $12.50.

In his book, Ansel Adams provides more than you may want or need to know about subjects' luminance ranges that make PN55 an appropriate choice. Ditto the other Polaroid 4x5 films. A lot of discussion, too, on placements of brightnesses/luminances on the Zone System for the characteristic curves of Polaroid films. Finally, there's a page of worked-out placement problems for different luminance ranges. You can use these as problems to solve for yourself to see if you have been a good student of Ansel.

This is a very good book. Get one, even copy portions of a library's copy, if you want to do work with PN55.

ciao for now!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."