Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kodak Film Division still Profitable - BJP Article

Re: Kodak Film Division still Profitable - BJP Article

Where does it say it's been actually dropped? I don't see that. If you click on their 'commercial businesses' link on their new front page and then click on 'pro photo products' it connects you here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...ortIndex.jhtml

On that page it lists 'latest product announcements' which only includes Portra (the only new film recently, Ektar isn't 'new.') But if you click on 'pro films' in the sidebar, it links you to all the negative films. http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=1230 The 'shop now' link says they have it online for sale. But that 'shop now' is kind of screwy and goes back to the 'consumer products' page. I don't think they have the 'shop now' link set up yet to reflect any of the latest changes. Plus the 'shop now' link isn't indicative as to what's actually being manufactured, but only what they have available at the moment and are selling online: "many of our professional films are now available online" is what it says. I think that page (and others) will be revamped soon to reflect the new 'consumer' and 'commercial' divisions.

Anyway, on that 'professional color negative films' page it still lists Ektar in sheet sizes if you click the Ektar tab. "Also available in 4x5 and 8x10-sheet format."

I bought some Ektar 4x5 yesterday and the retailer (a big store in LA) said that their rep hasn't mentioned any dropping of Ektar in sheets. But who knows. The Chapter 11 people could tell Kodak to drop a lot of stuff.

A lot of film is temporarily out at places like B+H because I think there's been a sort of 'panic' run on Kodak film.

This is a statement I can live with, and I guess thousands of other film users as well:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/20/...xel+(PetaPixel)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jonathan View Post
    It's kind of disappointing to see cinematographers using a digital cinema camera that doesn't do at least 4K (the Arri is NOT a 4K camera, but it puts out a very nice image... has a nice "big" super 35mm sensor. I've seen a few TV shows shot with it). Why not choose RED Epic or Scarlet?
    Because there's more to an image capture then mere resolution. And anyone whose witnessed the endless debates about resolution on this forum should know. Now please, let's not start yet another thread on resolution!

The people opting for the Alexa say it has sufficient resolution for their needs, but also that it has sufficient dynamic range, good tonality in the shadows and highlights, is easy to color grade, etc. while the camera itself has good ergonomics for operator and 1st and 2nd ACs, good selection of lenses, etc. All the same reasons why LFers pick a format, a film, a workflow, their camera and lenses. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
    Where does it say it's been actually dropped? I don't see that. If you click on their 'commercial businesses' link on their new front page and then click on 'pro photo products' it connects you here: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...ortIndex.jhtml

On that page it lists 'latest product announcements' which only includes Portra (the only new film recently, Ektar isn't 'new.') But if you click on 'pro films' in the sidebar, it links you to all the negative films. http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...l?pq-path=1230 The 'shop now' link says they have it online for sale. But that 'shop now' is kind of screwy and goes back to the 'consumer products' page. I don't think they have the 'shop now' link set up yet to reflect any of the latest changes. Plus the 'shop now' link isn't indicative as to what's actually being manufactured, but only what they have available at the moment and are selling online: "many of our professional films are now available online" is what it says. I think that page (and others) will be revamped soon to reflect the new 'consumer' and 'commercial' divisions.

Anyway, on that 'professional color negative films' page it still lists Ektar in sheet sizes if you click the Ektar tab. "Also available in 4x5 and 8x10-sheet format." . . .
    If I'm following this correctly, it kind of summarizes the state of Kodak circa 2012. Someone wants to find out if a Kodak product is still made. So they go to Kodak's home page. From there they click on a link which takes them to a page from which they click on another link. That link takes them to another web site. From there they click on a link which takes them to second link and they end up on a page that's kind of screwy.

Should someone really have to jump through this many hoops just to find out if a company makes a product they want to buy?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    I don't know who's using Kodak but plenty of people are using film. Might not be enough but hundreds is ridiculous.
    It could be thousands of hundreds - so the statement is still correct, if misleading.

Steve.

Could be hundreds of thousands. Still BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Because there's more to an image capture then mere resolution. And anyone whose witnessed the endless debates about resolution on this forum should know. Now please, let's not start yet another thread on resolution!

The people opting for the Alexa say it has sufficient resolution for their needs, but also that it has sufficient dynamic range, good tonality in the shadows and highlights, is easy to color grade, etc. while the camera itself has good ergonomics for operator and 1st and 2nd ACs, good selection of lenses, etc. All the same reasons why LFers pick a format, a film, a workflow, their camera and lenses. Just sayin'.
    You're absolutely right. And resolution arguments are primarily for the hobbyists.

I went to Light Iron's open house (a friend of mine is a colorist for a major post house) and they had both the Alexa and Epic set up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ZwYQK_5eo (the cameras are shown starting at around 1:25)

What a lot of operators seemed to like with the Arri is the form factor, the ease of use, and the workflow, esp with dailies. The Epic was also admired for its size and its potential in situations where a smaller camera is absolutely necessary. Both are great hardware despite any resolution differences. And now there's the new CineAlta F65 (and with a price of only $65k) that will also compete with Red and Arri.