Thread: Linhof Technika Press informations requested

Jean-Louis Llech

Linhof Technika Press informations requested

HI everybody,
    I can't find accurate informations about the Linhof Technika Press. It seems that this camera has disappeared from the LF/MF circuit. Very few are for sale on ebay, and always with a low price and few if no buyers.
    The Technika Press was stopped in 1963, and replaced by the Press 70, with a top large rangefinder and a meter cell. This change was done, in my opinion, to facilitate the production and to reduce manufacturing costs. (The Press 70 was similar to the Technika 70, produced since 1962).

First, I consider that, when buying a Super-Technika IV 6x9, it's better to buy the camera with the three lenses and the cam at the same time. The tri-lobed cam must have lenses matching number engraved on it. So, one can be sure that all three lenses will be correctly focused with the rangefinder.

My first question will be about the Super Technika : I suppose that a lens of the same model and focal length, but with a different number from the one engraved on a cam will not be focused correctly. Am I right or not ?

Second question : on the Technika Press 6x9, (either with Zeiss or Schneider lenses), how does the rangefinder coupling system functions ?
    I suppose that it is not the same system than on the Super Technika. Has each lens its own coupling system ? Do the system use cams?

If I am right, it might be possible to buy lenses separately, one by one, on the contrary of the Super Technika. Mamiya copied the Technika Press, and this led to the Mamiya Universal and the Mamiya Press. Is the rangefinder system comparable on these three cameras ?

Several Linhof cameras use the same kind of lens mounting than the Press : the Press 70... I suppose they are different. How can I recognize them ?

I would greatly appreciate informations about the whole Technika Press system. (especially the opinion of Bob Solomon, which I cordially greet here).
    I can see the advantages of this camera (light weight, Zeiss lenses, easy to focus... But, what are the drawbacks ? (is there a Graflock back, a rotating back...).

I would also be grateful if you could give me some websites addresses about the Technika Press or some copies of documentations.

Thanks for your help and your contributions.
    JLL

"My first question will be about the Super Technika : I suppose that a lens of the same model and focal length, but with a different number from the one engraved on a cam will not be focused correctly. Am I right or not ? "

Right. But the cams are still available and can be cut for new lenses. However each lobe is for a specific focal length lens that will be cut to match that lens. So there are a couple of different tri lobed cams available. In addition the serial number of the camera the cam is cut for will be on the cam as well. Both the lens and the camera numbers must match.

"Second question : on the Technika Press 6x9, (either with Zeiss or Schneider lenses), how does the rangefinder coupling system functions ? I suppose that it is not the same system than on the Super Technika. Has each lens its own coupling system ? Do the system use cams?"

The Technika Press was a helical focus mount. It is totally different then the Super Technika system. Only the lenses in the special helical mount would work on the camera.

"Several Linhof cameras use the same kind of lens mounting than the Press : the Press 70... I suppose they are different. How can I recognize them ? "

The Technika 70 had a built in meter as well as a coupled rangefinder/viewfinder on the top of the camera. It is a bellows camera. The Press 70, Technika Press, Aero Electric and the Aero Press all used helical mounts and not a bellows. The Aero had no built-in finder system and the electric had a motor drive and no built-in finder system.

We can identify various models by serial number.

" the advantages of this camera (light weight, Zeiss lenses, easy to focus... But, what are the drawbacks ? (is there a Graflock back, a rotating back...)."

What light weight? The Technika Press and the Press 70 were extremely heavy cameras (Technika Press = 6.25 lbs with 80mm lens but without a roll back, specially with the special gear drive Super Rollex (no Graflock backs no regular Super Rollex 69 backs) and the lens. The lenses are quite old and would not be the equal of modern designs and the camera was limited to 7 lenses. Two of them 80mm one a 100 + two 53mm and two 180mm lenses.

A Master Technika 45 with a back and lens and finder and grip would weigh less and do far more.

The book The Linhof Camera Story details all Linhof models. Even some Prototypes.

Jean-Louis Llech

Thanks Bob for all these explanations.
    I already use a Master Technika.
    I would like to buy a Technika Press for other jobs.
    I've found one whose serial number is 8419, with a Biogon 53 # 2309163.
    Do you know how old is the camera ?
    Thanks again and best regards,
    JLL

8419 would be about 1958 or 59. There are no repair parts for any of the Technika Press cameras so be sure it works.

I needed to get a Linhof Press 70 fixed; neither Wolf at ZIV nor Marflex can work on them. I did find a place in Germany who did a superb job. It was $300 but for a Press 70 with 2 lenses, I think that was reasonable.

If anyone wants their name, contact me.

The Press 23 had the advantage of taking standard Super-Rollex backs; the Press 70 requires the special exposed-gear Super- and Cine-Rollexes. The drawback on the Press 23 was that film advance and shutter cocking were separate and not nearly as quick.

The Press 23 had 53/100/180mm sets from both Zeiss and Schneider but there was also a 95mm f2.8 Rodenstock Heligon and 270mm f5.5 Rodenstock Rotelar. Each of these lenses are mounted into a heavy lens mounting plate which has a cam ground for that lens.

The Press 70 had combined shutter wind/film advance via either a cocking lever which went forth-and-back a-la Rollei, or the later model had a right hand grip which also could be used for cocking and film advance.

The Press 70 had 53/100/180mm sets from Zeiss and Schneider. Also, a very scarce 100mm 4 Xenotar that is rarely seen. Their brochures talked about a 270mm f6.6 Rodenstock Rotelar (the same formula as the one for the Graflex XL) but I do not think that ever saw the light of day.

I have one of each of these specimens and they are heavy. About twetny years ago, I used a Press 23 to shoot the NCAA Wrestling Nationals for a friend who was the wrestling coach at the host college. By the third day, I was wrapping my wrist because of the pain of holding that camera to my eye for extended periods. I took over 600 pictures in three days and the results were absolutely superb. I would never do it again.

There are a lot of Technika 70's around and they are great. Not as heavy (bellows not titanic lens mounts) and the viewfinder is bright and clear. Chaning lenses is not as handy as with the Press 70, where you just change lenses as if it was a Leica of monstrous proportions. With the Technika 70, you must remove the lens to be replaced, slide back the carriage into the body, adjust the cam to the new lens, slide the standard back out to the correct infinity stops, place the new lens in its board on the camera and reattach the shutter cable release. Oh yes, you should have remembered to reinsert the dark slide into the rollfilm magazine in back or you just exposed a frame.

Wonderful cameras with a build quality we will never see again. Practical only if you are a methodical worker not burdened by time constraints.

There is also the Aero Press 70 which also had the lens sets. The lenses look almost identical EXCEPT the Aero lenses have no slow shutter speeds. The Press 70 lenses go 1 second to 1/500; the Aero lenses only 1/30 to 1/500. It makes sense. Quite frankly, the shooting I did from helicopters in the army, I almost always used 1/500 because of the aircraft vibration. When bad lighting caused me to have to move down to even 1/125, the dropoff in sharpness was very noticeable.

Hope this helps.

David Blocher

Re: Linhof Technika Press informations requested

Hi Nelson,
    I would very much like the name of the repair shop in Germany. I have a Linhof Technar, and I know Linhof itself has no parts for the Technar. (I was told at the Linhof factory in Munich when having my Master Technika rangefinder adjusted).
    The repair shop might be really handy if I ever need some work done with the Technar.

thank you

Rafael

Sorry Bob, there is a bellows in the Technika-Press. Mounted between the main-part and the back, so the back can be shiftet like all Technikas.

Peter K

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    there is a bellows in the Technika-Press.

Peter K
    But not for focusing as with other Technikas. The Press only accepts a limited range of lenses in an outsized special Linhof helicoid focusing mount with its' own unique bayonet lens mount. This adds substantial weight to the basic camera and lens.

I'd like the name and address of someone (preferably in Europe) who can answer a few questions about a Linhof Press 23. What I'm really looking for is a repair manual for the Press 23, or even a couple of close-up shots of how the cam mechanism is set up for the 180mm Sonnar on this camera.

Thanks

Douglas