Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format assignments?!

Re: Large format assignments?!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I love film photography. I've had a darkroom for 20 years, and I continue to use it. I hope that film will be around and affordable for many years for my personal work, but arguing with Kirk about the realities of commercial photography is really quite silly.
    Peter, I love film too and use it routinely for my personal work. In an odd way I'm glad my commercial work is a different experience than my personal work. In the days of only shooting film for everything in a view camera it wasn't much fun dragging it out on the weekends to shoot some personal work after lugging it around all week doing commercial work. During my busy periods it felt like a 7 day a week job. Now it is a blast when I get to use it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I totally agree. To me it works as a frontier between work and pleasure.

Thats a very good way to frame it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I haven't shot a commercial project on film in the last 4 or 5 years. All of my clients want the flexibility of digital. I'd be happy to pull out the 4x5, though, if a client had the budget and scheduling flexibility for it.

Several years ago I went so far as to gift my monorail to a former student who will probably far eclipse any work I ever did with it. That camera was what I used to shoot interiors and some copy work with, but that work either disappeared or became digital. I held onto my field camera because it was more suited to my personal work which hasn't all become digital yet.

I'm a little surprised to see such hostility in this thread. The reality in the commercial world is that the majority of work is now shot digitally. Why argue with people sharing their experiences with the marketplace openly and honestly?

-m

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Dear Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael N. Meyer View Post
    I'm a little surprised to see such hostility in this thread. The reality in the commercial world is that the majority of work is now shot digitally. Why argue with people sharing their experiences with the marketplace openly and honestly?
    To my mind a somewhat curious reading ... Having quickly gone over the thread I merely see a few individuals indicating that yes they do still find a use for large format on assignment -- and perhaps it is noteworthy too that a number are not based in North America. I think what has possibly concerned a few of us is the tendency of some to make blanket statements about `the marketplace'. I would have thought that it was clear that there are actually many places where large format -- film or digital -- still has some advantages, quite apart from the qualities possessed by an individual photographer -- perhaps the most important thing of all.[*]

Kind regards,

Richard

[*] A quick review of the offerings -- film and digital -- of Linhof, Sinar, Cambo, Arca-Swiss &c. should make this obvious.
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mahoney View Post
    [*] A quick review of the offerings -- film and digital -- of Linhof, Sinar, Cambo, Arca-Swiss &c. should make this obvious.

Good attention is also noticed

There are still made ultra large format lenses and cameras - very very expensive! So who buy them? There are no assignments or only 4x5 as you say. I do not belive that only rich hotheads buy them for pleasure! So how it realy is?

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I let go of HABS jobs a few years before the recession as there was so much better paying commercial work (and I still had kids in college) that I couldn't keep up with. In that time a guy moved into the state and took over that niche and he is really very good. I wish i had it back now!
    its a fun niche ... luckily there aren't many people near me who use
    sheet film, and no labs left that process it ( sounds like i should raise my rates ! )

Film has become the anti-establishment way to work. Good luck making a commercial assignment living at it. Not to say that some can't find a contrarian client now and again...

I recently did an assignment for a client who wanted a specific building as a B&W print. I did not share any information on how the image was captured and just provided proofs that we're composed of digital, 6x6 film and 4x5 LF. Pleased to say that the client selected the one that was captured on a 4x5.

Quote Originally Posted by Łukasz Owsianka View Post
    Good attention is also noticed

There are still made ultra large format lenses and cameras - very very expensive! So who buy them? There are no assignments or only 4x5 as you say. I do not belive that only rich hotheads buy them for pleasure! So how it realy is?
    Quite a few people have already told you "how it really is." But instead of listening you argue with the ones who give you an answer you don't like. If you'd stop arguing and just listen, even though you don't like the answers, you'd know "how it really is," at least from the standpoint of the people who have responded to your question.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.