Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Large format assignments?!

Re: Large format assignments?!

We, humans are too used to being forced to pick one out of two options. As if there was no alternative or you couldn't pick both or reject both at the same time. See bi-partidism in politics, etc...

I see film and digital photography co-exist wonderfully. Shoot film, scan, retouch in PS, post in the www or go back to analog in the form of a print.

This past autumn I was asked to do a series of photographs in large format for a Catalan musician named . His new album is based on the works of Segundo Chomón, an amateur film maker from the beginning of the century.

Parrot's manager thought it would be ideal to use the same medium used back then so she asked me to do large format photos with brass lenses.
    I also see a trend in art directors in commissioning analog photography of any size out of coolness or trendiness.

I continue to shoot and process 4x5 transparency film photos of products for one of my clients. Have had 2 jobs in 2012. About 40 sheets consumed this year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You must be blessed. I've had Fed Ex lose them, ad agencies lose them, magazines lose them and the same damage them more times than I can remember. Prior to doing my own scanning, when I had to send them out to be scanned by every publication, like in the 80's and nineties, my widely published transparencies from those periods look like they've been through a war.
    I just realized that I am wrong about that. One batch of 35mm slides sat on a client's desk in the sun for a few weeks. They paid a cash compensation and tried unsuccessfully to have 4x5 dupes retouched. I have also more than likely lost some 4x5 transparencies that were product shots that I don't care about. Other than that I have been very fortunate. A lot of my work went out as B&W prints to agencies and many times those came back looking like Columbo's coat but my negs are safe & secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post

I see film and digital photography co-exist wonderfully. Shoot film, scan, retouch in PS, post in the www or go back to analog in the form of a print.
    I'm with you and Kirk on this and, like Kirk, I jumped all over scanning my own film and the film of others first as an additional revenue stream but mostly to understand the new age of digital that was coming down the road like a hurricane. It was so seamless to work into shooting digitally. It was more like putting a new film type into my camera than learning a new technology at that point.

multiplex

i am delivering another habs job in a few days,
    it was shot with a 4x5 camera

I really expect more tolerance, particularly in a forum like this one! As far as I remember carries the name LARGE FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY and not SENSOR PHOTOGRAPHY, Mr. Gittings and Mr. Moderator.
    You may be mistaken and think that this is a sister forum to APUG. You might be happier over there.

Have anyone got a large format assignments in 2011? Do anyone use it for commercial photography? For big posters, advertising etc.. Or maby it is digitalized - scan backs etc.. Please tell me how the LF is doing in digital slr age!
    When someone asks a question like this, I assume they want actual experience-not a pep talk. Personally I am not interested in telling LF photographers what they want to hear and reinforcing romantic ideas I don't see reflected in the market place. I personally only have loyalty to the truth as I see and experience it. LF is not a team sport with a cheering section. It is just a tool. I tell people my actual experience-where I am in the market every day dealing with clients across the country and stock sales around the world. My experience may not be the same as yours but is just as valid and I will continue to share it even when it doesn't fit your personal narrow idea of what should be discussed here.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 29-Jan-2012 at 11:54.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk
    Very well put, I completely agree with your statement.
    I shoot LF b&w film because, that is my hobby, I don't have to market my photographs as you do. You obviously know how to be successful in the current market and do your personal work, great admiration from me, I tried and couldn't do it.
    Like you I have had my share of 4x5 transparencies lost, scratched or worst, a digital file has got to be better in any format.
    I had a number of photographs with a magazine in your home state that were returned to me looking like someone confused the scanner and the shredder

I'm only an assistant, but I work with a number of commercial photographers. None of them use film for commercial work, and the whole support structure of using film has seriously broken down. Today's art directors expect to immediately be able to look at the captured shots on a big computer screen. Sure, as some people in this thread have proved, it is possible to find a client who'd like film, but the percentage is incredibly small. And it's a tough market these days for commercial photography without limiting your client base to such a small number of people.

The people who might still be able to make a go of it are the super successful 8x10" studio shooters who have the client list and history to convince their "we want the best damn the cost" clients that they should keep doing things the film way.

I love film photography. I've had a darkroom for 20 years, and I continue to use it. I hope that film will be around and affordable for many years for my personal work, but arguing with Kirk about the realities of commercial photography is really quite silly.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Let's not forget QT's post that Steve Jobs last Portrait was shot on film and Google posted that shot on it's website when Steve passed away.

But lets face it, for most commercial photography digital is the way to go. It's quick and its cheap. You can download it into your laptop, post-process it in Photoshop, and with a click email it off to where ever.

But film is not too far behind. If you do your own processing you could have your shots processed, dry, and on the scanner in about 1 hour 15 minutes after exposure - especially with an assistant to do the processing.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am delivering another habs job in a few days,
    it was shot with a 4x5 camera
    I let go of HABS jobs a few years before the recession as there was so much better paying commercial work (and I still had kids in college) that I couldn't keep up with. In that time a guy moved into the state and took over that niche and he is really very good. I wish i had it back now!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"