Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak paranoia is over

Re: Kodak paranoia is over

Sal, Thank you for the tip about the 3004.
    I don't think that the tight tubes in the 3005 is the real issue since i don't have any problems with linear scratches as i would if it was due to inserting or removing the film from the drums.
    Speed on the CPP is more likely but i have tried the slowest possible setting without seeing any improvement.
    Luckily i have enough Kodak film in the freezer to last me for 10 years or until it is so fogged that it can't be used anymore so, it is just an annoyance more so than a real serious problem not having any film to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    ...I don't think that the tight tubes in the 3005 is the real issue since i don't have any problems with linear scratches as i would if it was due to inserting or removing the film from the drums...
    The tight fit of 8x10 in a 3005 can make is more susceptible to shifting linearly and circumferentially in the chamber during rotation. That probably accounts for "swirly" scratches on the base. The greater flexibility of Ilford's sheets compared to Kodak's means they "hug" the chamber walls more, thereby result in higher scratch potential.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    I've read a few times to steer clear of vacuum-bagging film in the freezer. I forget the reasons.
    I bought a 25-sheet box of Tech Pan 4x5-inch film from an auction site seller several years ago. When I received the box it was crushed to about 1/2 it's original thickness from being vacuum sealed to a heavy vacuum.

I didn't think it was a good idea to put all that pressure against the pack of film sheets so I contacted Kodak and asked for their opinion on vacuum sealing.

They basically advised against it saying there could be changes in the emulsion from the uneven contact pressure. Under atmospheric pressure the box crushes flat at the center but not at the edges. This places uneven contact pressure on the interior film stack.

Regarding the Tech-Pan I repacked the film in a different box and that's the way I have it stored now. I did shoot a few sheets and I didn't notice any damage on the negatives from the crushing. But frankly I haven't shot enough of the box to know if the center sheets were affected.

Anyway, my current procedure for long term storage is to use the vacuum sealing bags but without pulling a vacuum. I put each box of film I want to store in a sealing bag, press as much of the air out by hand that I can, and just use the heat-sealing mechanism to seal the bag.

Works for me and keeps out excess moisture but doesn't crush the box from heavy vacuum pressure.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Drew Wiley

All depends on the ambient temp and humidity when you seal the film up. For critical
    work I built a dessication chamber to moitor the humidity per hermetic encapsulation
    of prints, but could also use it for sealing film. More often, I just don't freeze or refrig
    open film boxes, period. Even new ones I double bag with plastic. For fussy work one
    can acquire sheets of poly sandwiched to aluminum, which can be sealed with a tacking iron. It's a much better barrier than plastic alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    All depends on the ambient temp and humidity when you seal the film up. For critical
    work I built a dessication chamber to moitor the humidity per hermetic encapsulation
    of prints, but could also use it for sealing film. More often, I just don't freeze or refrig
    open film boxes, period. Even new ones I double bag with plastic. For fussy work one
    can acquire sheets of poly sandwiched to aluminum, which can be sealed with a tacking iron. It's a much better barrier than plastic alone.
    I can just see this being the new expired film selling point.

"Sealed in a dessication chamber."

I'd buy it.

Giving the bag interior a blast of nitrogen would be a lot easier than a desiccation chamber.

Rick "cheap at your local welding supply" Denney

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

(psychotic nitpicking follows) Actually, Rick, you'd have to vacuum the air out, and then repressurize it with the nitrogen atmosphere. And that would work only with film that's been packaged in unsealed bags. Kodak bags are sealed.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    (psychotic nitpicking follows) Actually, Rick, you'd have to vacuum the air out, and then repressurize it with the nitrogen atmosphere. And that would work only with film that's been packaged in unsealed bags. Kodak bags are sealed.
    I was solely addressing the idea of bagging anything in a desiccation chamber.

Rick "whose argon bottle stays in the garage" Denney

How about a hermetcally sealed Hellmans mayonnaise jar with a Funk & Wagnallls Dictionary on top?
    John "haunted by mentally rerunning of the Tonight Show in my brain" Kasaian
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Makes a huge difference at what humidity you seal the air inside. Common sense.
    Maybe you live in a desert climate. Lots of us don't. Even framing a picture behind
    glass at high humidity levels can lead to mildew, as every conservator knows. One can
    simply buy one of those little vac packaging units for freezing veggies for about a hundred bucks. Don't count on a single plastic heat sealed bag alone however. But my
    own preference is never to refreeze film once it has been opened, or if the mfg didn't
    seal it entirely (some don't, and only use a folded paper or plastic black bag). Long
    term cold storage of actually exposed color negs is a different story. Fortunately,
    these particular films seems to be more fade-resistant than they once were. But this
    again all depends on climate. I've seen a lot of older chromes as well as negs ruined by
    humidity. Can't imagine how they archive stuff in Hawaii.