Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak paranoia is over

Re: Kodak paranoia is over

Hmmm, I have shot thousands of sheets of TRI-X and FP4 over the years developed in a tray and in BTZS tubes-absolutely no difference in those situations that I have ever seen. You make mistakes and you get scratches.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, The issue here is FP4+ processed in a Jobo 3005. I am sure that FP4+ can be processed in a tray no problem.

Jan, it's clear that your technique is the cause of the issues and not ilford QC. I've read the APUG thread too.

It sure is my problem, i agree 100%

Eric Biggerstaff

I have used thousands of sheets of FP4+ and Delta 100 all developed in a Jobo 3010 drum with no issues. That said, I know of photographers who did have issues 20+ years ago when Ilford was using a base material that would buckle over time, but in all the years I have used it I have never had an issue.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Drew Wiley

I've always considered FP4 to be slightly more prone to scratching than Kodak films,
    though not fragile in the sense of certain EU films. But I haven't scratched any Ilford
    film in a long time, despite using plenty of it.

The problems i have with Ilford film is only in the 8x10 format. You mention the Jobo 3010 which tells me that you process a smaller format.
    As Joe stated above it is a problem that i, Jordan and others have with 8x10 Ilford film and since i can process all other brands without getting these swirl marks on the back Ilford film is just not working for me, at least not in 8x10 and in a comfortable way that i can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    At least in my house.

I'm no longer paranoid about Kodak making more bad moves and taking my favorite films away like polaroid, agfa, etc...

I just got a box from B&H to complete my 3-5 year supply/stash of sizes I use. I'll vacuum bag it and put it in my freezer tonight.

Of course if Kodak remains in the film business or sells it to a worthy steward, I'll still buy some and keep probably a 2+/- year stash as a hedge against silver/film prices or product changes.

If Kodak goes away, I'll have a couple years to figure out Ilford film real good, and film to make nice photos with in the mean time.
    I've a modest supply of plate holders. No pair of noias here, not even a lone noia
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    The problems i have with Ilford film is only in the 8x10 format...
    Whether developing Kodak or Ilford film, for 8x10 I don't use the 3005 Expert drum. Inserting that size film in those chambers is a tighter fit than I'm comfortable with. Instead, I use the rare and precious 3004 drum for 8x10. Its larger chambers seem better suited and are easier to load/unload. Purchasing only one 3004 drum before they were discontinued was my single largest planning failure. Although one can find them on the used market, listings are far and few between. If my shooting involved more 8x10, I'd be patiently looking for another 3004. However, since I mainly use 5x7 and whole plate film, processing 4 sheets of 8x10 and then having to dry the drum before running another batch has been an acceptable compromise.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

FWIW I have been rotary processing Ilford Delta 100 one and two sheets at a time in a Jobo 2830 without any scratches. Initially I processed one sheet at a time and the last two times I processed 2 sheets together. On the first I noticed that one edge of a sheet slipped out of its slot and overlapped the other sheet about an inch without scratching it.

Thomas