Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak paranoia is over

Kodak paranoia is over

At least in my house.

I'm no longer paranoid about Kodak making more bad moves and taking my favorite films away like polaroid, agfa, etc...

I just got a box from B&H to complete my 3-5 year supply/stash of sizes I use. I'll vacuum bag it and put it in my freezer tonight.

Of course if Kodak remains in the film business or sells it to a worthy steward, I'll still buy some and keep probably a 2+/- year stash as a hedge against silver/film prices or product changes.

If Kodak goes away, I'll have a couple years to figure out Ilford film real good, and film to make nice photos with in the mean time.

Re: Kodak paranoia is over

I've read a few times to steer clear of vacuum-bagging film in the freezer. I forget the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom J McDonald View Post
    I've read a few times to steer clear of vacuum-bagging film in the freezer. I forget the reasons.
    I'd be interested in the reasons too.
    As long as you don't crush the boxes, I can't see any reason why keeping air/additional moisture away from your film would be a problem. Ziplocs aren't very airtight.

Jp, thanks for relieving all of us.

It's interesting to know in this forum how many Americans do not really know Ilford films.
    Ilford has more expertise in black and white products than Kodak, and always had better papers. Except for TriX, that is unique, Ilford's B&W films have the edge.

Ilford has more expertise in black and white products than Kodak, and always had better papers. Except for TriX, that is unique, Ilford's B&W films have the edge.
    I hope you that you are trying to be sarcastic? When did Ilford last put any developement into it's current film offerings?

No one beats Kodak quality.

Drew Wiley

Ilford have their own nice films, but nothing that competes directly with TMax films, esp with something like TMY400 which combines speed and a relatively straight line characteristic curve. TriX is old school film - some people love it but it has quite a toe and is very gritty. And I use TMX100 for color separations. FP4 is much more difficult
    to use for this kind of purpose. So I've stuffed my freezer with Kodak, though I will
    use Ilford films too when appropriate. I double bag everything in the freezer. And everything in there is in unopened boxes with heat sealed foil wrap inside the box.
    Works fine. Just don't freeze or refrigerate film once the pkg is opened.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

According to PhotoEngineer over at APUG, the problem is with film which wasn't placed in a sealed bag at the factory, like 35mm film. If the film comes from the factory in a sealed bag, then no problem. However, film like Ilford, which comes in a simple bag also has the problem that 35mm faces.

The emulsion needs a "normal" humidity to stay pliable. So when vacuum bagging, just hit the seal button before the vacuum is fully formed. The emulsion will be just fine in the future. Otherwise, the emulsion is prone to drying in a vacuum, or being exposed to the dry environment of the freezer.

Myself, I have used 20+ year old Tri-X which was "improperly" stored, with no apparent ill effects. The sealed packs were just fine.

JP, what Kodak film did you buy? C-41, E-6, or B&W?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

What they said, there is no subsitute for TMY. Kodak makes the only 400 asa sheet film that you can rate at 400 processed in pyro.

Today's order was 30 propacks of tmy2 120, which should last me about three years at a roll per week.

I've got tmax400 in 4x5, 8x10, 120, 35mm, and tri-x in 8x10 (an old style with top quality). Nothing is quite like Tmax 400 though.

I've even got a little arista edu foma 100 , but the last sheet of that I developed had a fingerprint on it that wasn't mine. I feel it's good to evaluate film options from time to time; I'm not a film fanboy or brand bigot.

Ilford is good and I use their paper, but I can not handle too many types of film at once.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

JP, since TMY2 isn't "endangered," why did stock up on that?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans