Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak paranoia is over

Re: Kodak paranoia is over

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    No one beats Kodak quality.
    Perhaps not but Ilford and Fujifilm equal it.

Steve.

I switched to ILFORD film a few years ago and posted about it and joined in other threads about it. However, in the last year or so, the ILFORD 120 films have become a dollar more per roll than T-max from my local shop (and B&H). That is quite a big difference in price, so I went back to T-max 120.

Perhaps not but Ilford and Fujifilm equal it.
    We all have our favorites and mine is Kodak. Fuji may equal Kodak in the QC department but i will never agree that Ilford does. I and many others have had to many issues with Ilford sheet film to group it together with Kodak.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    According to PhotoEngineer over at APUG, the problem is with film which wasn't placed in a sealed bag at the factory, like 35mm film. If the film comes from the factory in a sealed bag, then no problem. However, film like Ilford, which comes in a simple bag also has the problem that 35mm faces.

The emulsion needs a "normal" humidity to stay pliable. So when vacuum bagging, just hit the seal button before the vacuum is fully formed. The emulsion will be just fine in the future. Otherwise, the emulsion is prone to drying in a vacuum, or being exposed to the dry environment of the freezer.

Myself, I have used 20+ year old Tri-X which was "improperly" stored, with no apparent ill effects. The sealed packs were just fine.

JP, what Kodak film did you buy? C-41, E-6, or B&W?
    I've used improperly (just room temperature) stored Tri-X that was 15 years old and it was horrible, practically unusable, but I'd guess that freezer stored it would be fine.

It's true that Ilford does not have anything quite like TMY (or TMX) but they do have very fine films, at least for normal pictorial use. The seldom-mentioned on this site Delta films, while grainier than TMX/TMY, are definitely new style films and more like TMX/TMY than they are like FP4/Plus-X or HP5/Tri-X. Worth a try.

For the photography I do right now, Tri-X is the only Kodak black and white film I'd miss very much. I'd miss TMZ in 35mm because I can get a bit more speed and less grain out of it than Delta 3200, but I like Delta 3200 too in 120.

In 4x5 I shoot TMY-2 but could happily go to HP5 for most things, maybe Acros when lack of reciprocity failure is needed. If TMY-2 were to go away I think Ilford might reconsider bringing Delta 400 back in sheets and I could happily use that too (have before, back when they made it in sheets.) It's a bit grainier than TMY-2 but in large format the difference simply does not matter to me.

We all have our favorites and mine is Kodak. Fuji may equal Kodak in the QC department but i will never agree that Ilford does. I and many others have had to many issues with Ilford sheet film to group it together with Kodak.
    What kind of issues?

That's not very convincing. I don't think ou can make generalization from these discussions.

I don't generalize, i have had the same problems with numerous sheets of FP4+ and Delta100 but i have shot several hundred sheets of Kodak film and not one issue.

I don't generalize, i have had the same problems with numerous sheets of FP4+ and Delta100 but i have shot several hundred sheets of Kodak film and not one issue.
    So, everyone in the whole world has the exact same problem?? Hard to believe.

What is your point? i don't get it.