Thread: Epson 3200 Scanner on 64-bit Windows 7

Epson 3200 Scanner on 64-bit Windows 7

Got sent a link with info on updating Epson 4990 Scanner drivers so they can be used with an Epson 3200 on a 64-bit Windows 7 platform by making the 3200 think it's a 4990. Here's the link:

http://www.softwarecandy.com/shop/fr...-bit-windows-7

One big gotcha; it only completely works on 35mm film in that format's holder on a 3200 scanner. It will make good previews of the whole 4x5/120 film holder. After making crop lines around the preview image then pressing scan, the application closes. Pressing the spp's icon on my desktop restarts the program complete with scan settings and preview window with a crop line around the 4x5 area.

Software Candy is looking into this problem and may end up with an aditional driver update (pasting lines of code into one of the 4990 scanner drivers). Maybe there's hope out there someplace.

Re: Epson 3200 Scanner on 64-bit Windows 7

Dan, thanks for the link to Vuescan. I downloaded then installed it. Seems to work pretty good. After making a few more runs with it using different settings, I'll decide if it's worth buying.

Comments from Vuescan users are welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
    Dan, thanks for the link to Vuescan. I downloaded then installed it. Seems to work pretty good. After making a few more runs with it using different settings, I'll decide if it's worth buying.

Comments from Vuescan users are welcomed.
    What comments do you need? Many here use Vuescan, and it provides generally all the features one needs to get the most out of supported scanners. It's inexpensive, well-supported, and provides access to a wide range of older scanners that have been abandoned by their makers. Some of those even recommend Vuescan as the current solution to operating their equipment.

I use it with my Epson V750 and with my Nikon LS-8000ED. It provides a consistent user interface between those scanners, which I like. The Nikon had no other solution for 64-bit operating systems.

Rick "who, over the years, has used Vuescan with a lowly Acer 1240UT, an Acer Scanwit 2720 film scanner, a Minolta Multi II film scanner, and the above" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    What comments do you need?
    Rick, those like yours, for example. It's encouraging so thanks for what you said.

I'm still a bit new to large format B&W negative scanning. So I appreciate any help or favorable comments on hardware and software I can get. Especially when Microsoft's support site on 64-bit Virtual XP installed in a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional system supports Epson photo scanner drivers. Tried it and it didn't work.

I was finally able to get it working after I unclicked the [Thumbnail] screen button in the setup menu. It then scanned a cropped 4x5 negative in the preview screen very well indeed. And I'm pleased with the speed my new PC processes the scanned file data.

I didn't know it only scans up to 3200 lpi, but that's fine with me. I may try halving the image down to 1600 dpi with its TIFF divide by 2 setting. Some comments I've got say that might make a sharper image than the original 3200 lpi one.

Anyway, all's much better now.

".....The Nikon had no other solution for 64-bit operating systems."

There is a work-around for running Nikon Scan for the Nikon Coolscans on 64 bit Windows 7's and 64 bit Vista machines.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Ryck

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    ".....The Nikon had no other solution for 64-bit operating systems."

There is a work-around for running Nikon Scan for the Nikon Coolscans on 64 bit Windows 7's and 64 bit Vista machines.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00Ryck
    Did I miss something? That discussion seems to be about how to make Vuescan work with the Nikon 8000/9000 under Win7 64. That approach has been superseded by events, and the necessary instructions are provided by Hamrick.

I missed anything on that first page anyway that described how to make Nikon Scan work under Win 7 64.

Rick "happy with Vuescan in any case" Denney

I use Vuescan to run my Epson 2450 with Win7 x64. Works well.

Thanks for the link.

Downloaded than ran it. Seems pretty good. Maximum scans are 3200 lpi, but that's plenty good enough for 4x5 negatives. I like the large preview and scan windows it uses. And it does process scans on the 64-bit Win. 7 plenty fast for me.

My only problem is getting the settings such that contrast and brightness of my "test" negative are good. It's much easier running Epson's software on notebooks running Vista or XP.

But I'm still evaluating it and will decide soon.

I'm getting a copy of someone's hacked Epson 4990 driver file that does well with 4x5 negatives. I may have not updated one of the .inf files correctly. If that works, then I think I'll stick with it. Otherwise, Vuescan's a probably choice.