Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modular rail cameras - Compatible parts between manufacturers?

Modular rail cameras - Compatible parts between manufacturers?

So I started a thread awhile back about getting a hold of a Toyo/Omega 45F, which arrived with knobs broken off each of the standards.

The conclusion of that story was that I filed a claim with the post office, and recouped a percentage of the price paid. Outcome acceptable.

So now I'm looking to either replace the standards, or come up with another solution.

Looking around *youknowwhere* I'm seeing a lot of great cameras in my price range, almost always without back, lens, lensboard, sometimes bellows.

So my question is, I've got a perfectly good camera, minus standards. Will toyo/omega boards/backs fit the cameras of any other manufacturer? It's a real crap shoot finding replacement toyo standards or even a toyo kit to use with my current stuff at my current budget for this endevour.

Re: Modular rail cameras - Compatible parts between manufacturers?

Quote Originally Posted by gilhoy View Post
    Will toyo/omega boards/backs fit the cameras of any other manufacturer? It's a real crap shoot finding replacement toyo standards or even a toyo kit to use with my current stuff at my current budget for this endevour.
    I don't think so. There are some compatibilities in the large-format camera world--Horseman uses Sinar boards and bellows connections on some of their cameras, the Shen-Hao XPO uses Sinar boards and bellows, and many camera makers use Technika boards--but in general the only cross-platform standards I can think of are the Graflok/International back and the film-holder accommodation. Oh, and the 3/8-16 tripod thread.

Rick "thinking complete cameras are pretty cheap these days" Denney

Octogenarian

Toyo/Omega 45F lens boards will fit the Toyo View cameras, and the backs will fit the Toyo field cameras. Not likely that they can be interchanged with other brands.

Look for a Toyo/Omega 45D, 45E, or 45F, that's missing lens boards or backs. They can be purchased very reasonably. I was able to locate one at KEH that was being sold for parts for $35.

You can use the salvageable parts on your 45F to create one useable camera.

Gem is spot on; you can very easily make a fully-loaded camera from parts of any of the ones he listed.
    In your case, do not consider the Toyo G, as not all G parts will fit the other (earlier) Toyo lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Toyo/Omega 45F lens boards will fit the Toyo View cameras, and the backs will fit the Toyo field cameras. Not likely that they can be interchanged with other brands.

Look for a Toyo/Omega 45D, 45E, or 45F, that's missing lens boards or backs. They can be purchased very reasonably. I was able to locate one at KEH that was being sold for parts for $35.

You can use the salvageable parts on your 45F to create one useable camera.
    I've seen D's and E's priced to my liking, but I'm under the impression that the bellows are not user-removable? I'm currently sitting on a very nice bag bellows from my broken F that I'd really like to be able to use with whatever replacement parts I end up buying.

Octogenarian

gilhoy,

Toyo/Omega cameras did not have interchangeable bellows until the 45F was introduced. It was the first (and the last) Toyo/Omega to use interchangeable bellows.

In order to easily make use of your bag bellows, you need to find another 45F.

That's kind of what I thought would happen. I'll probably buy a complete (but lensless) 45F kit with a standard bellows. It's always good to have spare parts.

Thanks Gem, and thanks all

I've spent too much money trying to fix a Toyo 45G, I should have just bought another one. Parts from Toyo are still available but are pretty ridiculously priced. And then I've found borderline impossible to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    gilhoy,

Toyo/Omega cameras did not have interchangeable bellows until the 45F was introduced. It was the first (and the last) Toyo/Omega to use interchangeable bellows.

In order to easily make use of your bag bellows, you need to find another 45F.
    My D had interchangeable bellows; I had regular and bag bellows for it, as well as a 5x7 back; very modular system.

Octogenarian

Ari,

Was your camera a Toyo/Omega 45D, or was it a Toyo D?