Thread: Some observations on a 4x5 outfit for travelling

Some observations on a 4x5 outfit for travelling

Recently, I purchased a 4x5 outfit and took it with me to Paris and the Isle of Wight in the English Channel. The gear that I purchased was heavily influenced by comments made by participants on photo.net and lfphoto.info. In case it is useful to others who are looking for a lightweight 4x5 system, I'd like to indicate what I wound up purchasing and how it worked out.

The camera is an Arca-Swiss Discovery with a 30cm/12" rail and a Rodenstock 150mm/f5.6 Apo-Syronnar-S lens. The camera is mounted on an Arca-Swiss B1 ballhead and a Gitzo 1325 carbon fibre tripod. For film, I went with the Kodak Readyload system. On this trip, I brought along three boxes of T-max and Portra. I took along a black jacket that I used both to ward off the fall air and as a dark cloth. For fine focusing, I used a Toyo loupe. For metering, I used my 35mm camera - a Nikon N/F80 that I use with 24mm, 35mm and 85mm lenses.

Camera and lens: I'm happy with the camera and lens and I found that the combination worked well for the kind of photograhy that I wanted to do.

Tripod and head: I'm extremely happy with the tripod. It is fairly light but feels substantial, and it worked well even in fairly windy conditions on the Isle of Wight. In my case, the ballhead was probably a better choice than a pan and tilt head. I might think otherwise if the camera rail was much longer, if I didn't also want to use my 35mm on the tripod or if money had been more of an issue than it was.

While walking, I found that the best way to carry the tripod, head and rail was in my hand horizontal to my body. I mounted the rail on the centre of the head. On the B1, there is a V-slot on the side of the head to enable one to move a 35 mm camera from horizontal to vertical position. With the rail in this slot, the package balanced very nicely.

Film system: For travel, I think that one of the best pieces of advice that I received was to go with the Readyload or Quickload system. The Readyload holder is light and eliminates the need to carry several bulky holders. Equally, when I travel I like to relax in the evening, whether by visiting with friends or going out to dinner. To be frank, I don't think that I would have used the camera much, or enjoyed using it, if it had been necessary to spend time at the end of the day loading film and, the following day, carrying around holders. Of course, the downside is that using Readyload film is quite a bit more expensive than using film that one loads oneself. I may yet buy a couple of holders, and do my own film changing, for when I am using the camera in the city where I live.

Dark cloth: I ordered, and had planned to use, a Toyo dark cloth. I decided to return it, without taking it from its package, when I discovered that it is made of synthetic material (I want something that breathes) and appears to be both bulky and heavy. I have a jacket, acquired in New Zealand and in the jet black of the national rugby team, that I decided to try using as both a jacket and dark cloth. It worked just fine, but it won't be particularly good in very cold or very hot weather. Now that I'm back home, I will probably look for a local tailor who can make me a dark cloth in a breathable fabric.

Loupe: The Toyo loupe, which is fairly inexpensive, worked fine.

Metering: When I went to Europe, I assumed that I would use the 4x5 and 35mm cameras at the same time. It didn't work out that way. In the case of the 4x5 camera, I found that I was scouting - I would see something that I might like to photograph, think about it and, if I decided to make the photograph, return later, usually under more desirable lighting conditions. As a result, I would bring along the 35mm camera with one lens. If this is going to be a pattern, it might be more convenient, less bulky and lighter to bring along a dedicated light meter.

Carrying stuff: The Discovery comes with a rectangular case and shoulder strap that appear to be reasonably well made. It meets airline regulations for carry-on baggage. Packed, it will carry everything except my tripod, 35mm camera and lenses. I continue to have no trouble with airport security taking a tripod onto a plane, and the Nikon and lenses fit into a small Domke bag with lots of room to spare. I have had no problems, on this or any other trip, with film being damaged by airport x-ray machines, and so I just let them x-ray the stuff.

However, the Discovery case is not really suitable for walking a mile or more. Consequenty, I intend to acquire a backback. I've had a look at some of the dedicated photography bags by Lowepro, Tamrack, etc. On the whole, and for what I need, they strike me as overkill and heavier than necessary. I don't expect to walk more than a couple of miles, and I'm not carrying a lot of heavy gear. I'll probably settle on a standard, lightweight backpack, hopefully one to which I can attach the tripod. The one reseration I have about a standard pack is that I want to carry the 4x5 standards, bellows and lensboard as one package. I'm concerned about protecting it as a unit, and will probably try to devise some kind of padding for it.

As for the tripod, while it is light and can go on a plane, I've pretty much decided to pack it in with clothes, put it through regular baggage and hope that it doesn't wind up on the wrong continent.

Weather: In late October/early November, the weather in France and in the Channel tends to be highly changeable. Translation: lots of rain. I'd like to use the camera in wet conditions, but I need to devise a way to protect it. Haven't quite figured that part out yet.

Rory, You might want to consider upgrading the Discovery with Arca's Telesoping Optical bench. Instead of your 12" rail. This gives you two six inch rails which slide independently on the bench. It allows greater extension if you require it but best of all allows you to slide both standards onto one of the six inch pieces which can then removed from the bench. This makes the Discovery almost as small as a folded field camera. I found it a great addition to my Discovery.

Paul

I have the Discovery also, and walk long distances with it. I find that the strap cuts into my shoulder, and even with my darkcloth as added padding, my shoulder ends up sore unless I switch sides frequently. The plastic hooks which hold the strap to the case, squeak as I walk. Otherwise, no complaints.

I'd rather not have a back pack, so is there some other way to fix these two problems ?

Protection from rain:

1) Shower cap from the next hotel you stay at. fits well over camera.

2) Super light weight umbrella that you can find at Brookstone (at the malls.) also doubles as a wind protector and vibration dampener.

Don't forget your goretex jacket that also doubles as a dark-cloth-rain-protector-jacket.

Paul, I do plan to look into the telescoping rail, although so far I feel pretty comfortable carrying the rail and the standards separately.

Ken, you might consider a messenger bag of the kind made by Crumpler. There is at least one person on lfphoto who thinks that they work well.

Garrett, I have an offshore jacket that may be opaque enough to function as a dark cloth in wet weather. While I was on Wight, which is something of a sailing centre, I had a look at some of the newer breatheable gortex jackets. Very cool, but the prices, at least for the offshore jackets, are off the chart.