Thread: perimeter fog on Azo paper

perimeter fog on Azo paper

I have two boxes of grade 3 Azo that I have had for about 8 years. One was stored frozen for about half that time and I brought it out when I started to get fog on the perimeter of each sheet in the other box. I was sorry to see that the box which had been frozen shows the same fog. I have other boxes of Azo much older that print with no fog at all. I'm wondering if there is a problem with Azo made in the early 2000s. I think both of these boxes were purchase in 2003 but the markings on the boxes that would tell me for sure have been lifted off by tape i was using to secure the lids. I will try to attach a scan of a sheet that was taken straight from the box and developed. The fog is very visible on the perimeter of the sheet.

Re: perimeter fog on Azo paper

I have not been satisfied with old paper.

A few years ago I got a bunch of 11x14 and 16x20 Forte when I realized it was no longer being produced. When I compare all those prints to my recent stuff (all on 'fresh' paper) the light gray is very annoying. Everything needs to be re-printed. A years worth of printing down the drain. I'll not do that experiment (ie expired paper) again.

Picture Snappin' Fool Black Lightning's Avatar

I too just had my first experience with old paper. It was fun to print for the first time in ten years but I am throwing out a lot of unused paper.

Nicholas O. Lindan

Older paper was resistant to age fog because it contained cadmium. Cadmium was removed from paper sometime in the 90's. Paper made just after they removed the Cd fogs like crazy - they have since figured out how to make paper that keeps.

There is always Benzotriazole which works really well for age related fog. I have also noticed that fogged paper is more sensitive to higher pH developers FWIW.