Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reccomendations for buying an 8x10 system

Re: Reccomendations for buying an 8x10 system

If you go to Samys, and can visit the Fairfax store, see Frank Schlagel in the pro section (4th floor). He was a long time large format (up to 8x20, I think) photographer. He knows his stuff

Heck I bet if you offered someone reasonable money they would take you out for a one-on-one shoot and custom workshop - then use them and their gear to assist you on your shoots.

Excuse the snippy replies at first, I make them too sometimes. What happens is that every month or so, some flaming idiot comes along proclaiming themselves uber-artists and how they want to shoot everything 8x10 and then ask the most basic, never-ever questions and tell people who have been shooting 8x10 for a couple of generations that they're wrong... meanwhile a lot of earnest, hard working people will write 10,000 words of very helpful well-intentioned advice that goes unheeded.

There have been a quite a few of those guys who have pestered us for months and dozens of people spent countless hours helping them - only to see them reselling their expensive gear - unused, mint like new - a few months later.

Most of us want to attract new people into LF photography to keep it going, to keep the manufacturers working, etc. but some people are just a waste of time. So congrats on surviving the hazing ritual ;-p Just shoot.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

If you decide on a monorail then I recommend getting a solid tripod and head and two tripod mounting blocks. I mount my Toyo 810G on a Gitzo G1500 tripod and G1570M head which has a large plate enabling 2 blocks to be mounted.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kevs-2323668 View Post
    but realized if I want to make huge prints (9 ft x 6ft?... for exhibition or sales) I would need/ want to go big.

It was between the digital 180q (i think that's name) at a $700 rental or the 8x10 which rents for about $150 day, or 4x5... etc with normal and wide lens. Still I know--- film processing, drum scans, other misc rental... still I think the 8x10 quality is the best and the wow/PR factor is also unsurpassed.
    How are you going to make those large prints from your 8x10 chromes? Are you going to be drum-scanning?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    How are you going to make those large prints from your 8x10 chromes? Are you going to be drum-scanning?
    That's a not insignificant expense, but it sounds like the OP has taken it into account.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    That's a not insignificant expense, but it sounds like the OP has taken it into account.

Kent in SD
    Yes, but there are a lot of logistics as well as the expense. If the OP doesn't want to uprez from his scan, he will need a 3,250 ppi drum scan. A lot of scanners don't offer that at 8x10, so better to find a scanning service with a good operator before committing to this approach.

For 8x10 film holders, buy used. Check them out with cheap photo paper for leaks and return the leakers for better ones. If you have an assistant to load, you won't need a great many holders anyway.
    If you're buying a camera, you might as well buy the tripod for it. 8x10s need solid support.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Sinar gear is wonderful to work with, but the big geared P series will needs very ample
    tripod support or a heavy-duty studio column. You also have to be aware of condition
    issues buying used. Some of these cameras have been around a long time, so you need
    to be aware of the different series, or preferably handle in person any specific camera
    you are interested in. 8X10 chrome film seems to be steady as far as Fuji Provia is
    concerned, but Kodak E100G is starting to skyrocket in price as economies of scale
    decline, and Fuji Astia is very hard to get in 8x10 and actually officially discontinued.
    I prefer the Kodak product because of its polyester base versus the triacetate of the
    Fuji, but either one is an excellent film. Make sure you find local E6 processing that
    can handle 8x10, and a scanning service that can do justice to this level of quality.
    Direct optical printing (Cibachrome) is on its way out as the supplies dwindle.

Thanks guys, great info,

The rental guy at Samys was actually pushing for the medium format method. He reasoning being, after film and processing and drum scans etc... the cost is more or same. I do lean towards 8x10 for the previous reasons stated, but I do wonder about the film issue in the future. NO one has a crystal ball, but Drew/ others ...what is the projection on future availability and normal prices? (would be a bummer to buy and learn all this and then 2-3 years later film and processing is prohibitive -- still would be a great experience to be the last guy to dive in..)

I was thinking of going print film for the reasons stated - especially since there is no Polaroid, but I actually may go chrome, as I love the idea of having all those chrome sheets to show people later. The wow factor would be nuts, the chromes themselves. What you think, too risky? I shot chrome for years on 35... no problem. but I understand the risks.

I've just dipped my toes into the post shoot process. I called icon lab in LA about drum scans and processing. I understand scan could be super expensive at a GB +, but I may not print all the series images immediately. Actually, I don't know where the prints will be done, by me at a rental house or by a lab. I'll probably post later about that.

Holders --Don't most photographers want all the film in holders before shooting so as not to have to deal with loading at the shoot date?

Tripod, may post about that later.

Lot of stuff!

Thanks Frank, great info. did not see a Daniel Stone in the members list. I would give him a shout if you have his info.