Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Impressions of Wisner Flight

Newbie Impressions of Wisner Flight

Wisner will give you all the instruction you want when you pay for his workshop. But don't show up with a brand X (read non-Wisner) camera like a friend of mine did. You'll get the big cold shoulder. My first 4X5 shot was of a knot hole in the back fence. Yup, still have it. We need to start that thread James. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

Paul,

Welcome to the world of large format photography. It's a journey...a VERY, VERY long journey!

James hit the nail on the head when he said to involve your G/F. You might have asked her to be your model (don't forget the glass of wine to keep her relaxed as you fiddle with the knobs on the camera) and that would have made the time fly by!

Alternatively, don't have the G/F around when you're shooting. That works too... unless the G/F happens to be your wife. Then, it doesn't work AS well. Then, you'll have to resort to bribes.

The worklight is exactly what you need to focus a large format camera. I use an Ianiro Testarossa and that saved me from going blind in my attempts to focus. Just make sure you don't back into the light...they kick off a wee bit of heat!

Thanks for the story...it was quite enjoyable and, as others have already said... not a bad first shot.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Thank you very much for all of your suggestions and comments! My girlfriend already accompanies me on many of my hikes/walks/drives and refers to herself as my "beast of burden" I think the winter might leave me along on my travels a little more; for some odd reason she isn't terribly keen on trudging through the snow in -20C temperatures.

I am enjoying the experience very much so far.

Paul, your first shot was much better than mine. I exposed two sheets of transparancy film and they came back blank. I was putting the holder in wrong - in on the right side instead of the left. Fortunately I figured it out and went out for a second try. Here is shot number three - the first to turn out.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=845817