Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

Re: 2011/2012 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    To Group 5 members....
    Wonderful, inspiring work! Thanks so much for sharing!
    For Darr, once again, thanks for pulling this together. There is a place in heaven with your name on it.
    Wow, thanks John!! Your participation is always something I look forward to!

Darr

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Thanks Darr,
    Thank you Bill. I appreciate your patience with me this year when I accidentally put someone in front of you. I am getting older, but more mellower at least! Hope to see you next year!!

Darr

I got my prints yesterday and had a quick look. Great work everyone! I'll take a longer look today when I have some time set aside.

Thanks Darr for organizing another wonderful print exchange!

-Darren

Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Were mine flat when they arrived? Because of time constraints, I had to improvise. I printed my set about a day and a half before leaving town for a few days. They dried for a day at home, then I packed them into sleeves and put them into a cardboard envelope, which sat under a large box full of electronic parts in the front seat of my truck for two days while I tended to a few different job sites in east TN. They looked pretty flat when I shipped them to Darr. I was hoping the humidity didn't make them curl up again.
    Almost completely flat, just a tiny amount of curl toward the emulsion along the edge and less than I sometimes see with RC paper. Yours is on 8x10 paper so it would curl a bit less than my 11x14 and it's also possible that your Emaks paper just curls less than the MCC 110 I used, though MCC 110 handles well before and during processing, not quite like RC paper like one of the people quoted in Freestyle's promotion of the paper but certainly like a premium FB paper - it's slight stiffer than my other current paper, MGWT, or example.

I got hit with the same thing on the first one I did. This time, I copy/pasted the pdf to a Word document, then it allowed me to type the info. On the first one, I just wrote it out by hand, then made copies.
    If this forum had the forehead-slapping smiley that one of the others I hang out on has, I'd use that for your last sentence. Write it out once then make copies - d'oh! But I had printed them and set them aside, then decided I wanted to print a different negative if time allowed, so I hadn't packed them to ship. (These were actually ready with some time to spare, I just delayed because I was going to do a different photo if I'd had time.) So when I finally conceded I just wasn't going to have time to print a different one and these had to go, and the deadline was already somewhat passed and I had promised Darr, I was frantically packing the things. I printed nine of the information sheets and sat in the darkroom frantically scribbling in the info. The idea of writing out all I wanted once then copying it would have probably occurred under other circumstances. As it was, frantic brain had kicked in and didn't think of the obvious.

I'll try the pasting to Word. If that works for me that's what I'll do next year.

I finally got a chance to sit down with the family last night and go through both sets I received in this exchange. While they bickered over which were favorites and which looked better and why, I found it amusing that I just sat back quietly and enjoyed them all. I look forward to next year and I'm thinking this can be a fun family event, as long as I get the corner seat with a cold drink, good lighting, and the arguing left to others.
    Since it's just my wife and me I didn't have the option of sitting back while others discussed and debated, but she and I did go through them last night. We almost completely agreed, though I liked some a bit more than she did for technical reasons, how a certain paper looked, a certain paper/toner combination, that sort of thing. All the ones I liked she did as well, some just prompted a bit more enthusiasm from me of the "wow, that looks awesome, I'll have to try that!" variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the results I get flattening FB prints. This is my procedure;

[details of procedure snipped]

Place the stack of prints all face down under the piece of hardboard for at least 24 hours before spotting, spot the prints and return them to the stack and put the stack back under the hardboard until it is time to trim and mount them. After spotting and leaving the prints under the weight of the hardboard for an additional 24 hours they are nice and flat with absolutely no curl and ready to dry mount or go into storage. Or to send to Darr for a print exchange
    Wow, the results speak for themselves. "Wow" as in "but that's a lot of work! Way more than just chucking them into a press for a while!"

I'm not sure of the best way to make use of this press I have with the broken temperature control. I might in fact be able to fix it, but I don't have time to print as it is. If I wait until I have a chance to tear into it...ugh.

I need to find myself a fully functioning good condition press, even if I don't mount my own prints. I doubt I'll ever do that. There's a whole skill set involved, not stuff I'm usually good at anyway, and I have a local framer that I've worked with before that does a great job for a price low enough I'd rather just pay her and forget about it. The problem with getting a press is finding one that is still in good working order and local. Shipping on a 16x20 press is likely to cost more than the press, even if you can find someone willing and able to ship the thing. I did see one from a guy in Atlanta here on the board, but it was some monstrous size that would need a pick up truck and a strong friend or two, at least, to have picked up. The one I have handles 11x14 ok but not, I think 16x20. I'll have to start more actively keeping an eye out. A 16x20 press (the largest size I'm currently set up to print) should come up in a metro area the size of Atlanta eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Thanks Darr,

Postman came by late yesterday before sunset so I washed pizza grease off my hands and took over the table by the window...

Last year, Vishal Mathur, yours was my favorite so I was thrilled to see you in my group again! This year I love the light you caught, I never seem to have anything but fog so it's a rare treat. Mark_C, love the sepia and the way you framed the foreground that makes the shot feel like looking at a movie screen.

Roger Cole, yours is one of my favorites this year! I have to laugh because I cold-pressed my prints one at a time for a day each - I was afraid they would stick to the mat paper if I heated it up. Now the pressure is off, I'm going to experiment turning on the heat for an hour and letting a print cool down in the press. cdholden, yours arrived flat, so the trick works - I could spend all day in your print, and if I was there at the scene I could spend all day taking pictures. For me, I think that is what it's all about.

Positive reviews for all, but this could go on forever - everyone did a great job!
    Thanks Bill, the check's in the mail.

Sorry for being tardy. I have been running around.
    Group 3 & Group 5: 3 cheers! Thanks to everyone!
    The abundance of wet, silver prints is overwhelming. I feel like I am cheating printing on an inkjet printer. Alas, I may never be in a position to make wet prints again. To make matters worse, my Canon iPF5000 died on me when I tried to print for Group 3.
    Scott-Keep the snow pictures coming. I miss snow.
    Kav-Many thanks for hard work in your "real" job and your hard work with the 4x5. I appreciate both.
    I really appreciate the rocks, water & trees from around Appalachia. I want some GPS coordinates to use on our trips to/from Boone, NC. I had no idea that there was anything photogenic in Elizabethton, TN other than the big smoke stack.
    Darr-We have all said before, and we will all say it again: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    I don't have the photos in front of me to thank everyone else individually. Suffice to say, "Y'all done good!"
    Until next year when I will work much harder...

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I can try to get you some GPS coordinates for that "blue hole" Wayne. But it's very easy to find if you know the slightest bit about the area. I'd be glad to give you text directions via PM if you like (no time now but drop me a line and I'll send when I can.) There's a little hike down steps in the hillside to the falls down there, very easy trek and very beautiful. The biggest problem is getting a chance to shoot when other people aren't cluttering it up but with some patience that's not too bad. There's another LF shot of the falls, this time standing out on the rock that forms the pool I shot that one from but looking down the other way as the water spills away, on my Flickr page - I've posted it on LFPF before in the waterfall thread a long time ago so I won't repeat here. There's actually really beautiful country up there, one of the things I miss about home. But there's no money to be made, which is why I'm in the Atlanta area.

Thanks Roger. I was kidding about GPS numbers. Written directions work best for me. I'll be in touch before our next trip.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Kruger View Post
    Thanks Darr for organizing another wonderful print exchange!

-Darren
    Thank you Daren! I am always looking for your work!

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Darr-We have all said before, and we will all say it again: Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Wayne
    Wayne, Thank you! Thank you! and one more, THANK YOU!!

How to upload your photo to the web gallery:

Go to: http://lfgallery.cameraartist.com/

File Size & Copyright © Notice
    Your digital image should be no larger than 750 pixels at the longest side.
    It is a good idea to put your name on it for copyright purposes -- not necessary, but always better to do.
    Note: If you cannot get a digital file of your photo to use, try contacting someone from your group for help.

Thumbnail
    Thumbnail size is to be 200 pixels at longest side.
    The site's program will automatically make a thumbnail of your image, but you can upload a separate thumbnail if you like.

Photo Info
    Remember the "Photo Info Sheet" you filled out?
    I save my info in MS Word and copy and paste it on upload, but maybe you prefer to update your info.

Get Going!
    Since as a group we tend to be visual, here are some screen captures from the 2011 category to help you through the process:
    !! Remember You Need to Upload to the 2012 Category !!

1. REGISTER if you have not before (you must be registered and logged-in to upload):
      --

--
    2. After Registering, log-in and go to the 2012 Print Exchange category
      --

--
    3. Click on the "UPLOAD BUTTON"
      --

--
    4. Fill out info & Click "Submit Button"
      --

Questions? Post inside this thread so everyone has access to the info.

Thank you everyone for a successful 2012 Print Exchange!!

I am always in awe of the talent, technical abilities and versatility of our participants.
    Start planning now for our 2013 Print Exchange which begins in about another 6 months from now (already?)!

Kind regards,
    Darr