Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011/2012 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

Re: 2011/2012 Print Exchange Call for Entries !!!

Kav,
    I buy all the postage labels on the USPS web site. When I tried to purchase your label on line, it would not let me. After spending 15 minutes with a USPS person via the help line, they told me I had to hand print your name/address on the package and take it to the post office counter. You are special--Your address does not exist!

For you guys that may not know this, Kav is in the military, so right off the bat, my heart goes out to him. His photos and his narratives (he sent me additional prints other than the exchange print) have a lot to say about technique and purpose! My son is graduating on Friday 4/27 from college and from AF ROTC as a military officer. Kav's photos were the topic of conversation with my kid a few times and I say "thank you" for that.

Now this silly notion of yours Kav of being out of league is ridiculous!! I have been a photographer for 30+ years (from advertising to fine art and everything in between) and I would have a real tough time making some of the pictures you have made. How you manage to get sharp pictures with the rear-end of a jet-propelled (?) plane opened and all that goes with the environment, etc, astounds me. Oh and lets not forget that you are shooting a 4x5" Speed Graphic and film! Talk about abilities!! I AM IMPRESSED!!

Thank you for participating in the exchange!
    Darr

Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    I had to hunt down my prints today, but I got them! The postal workers tend to stay away from streets named "Missile Ordnance Road" for some reason. But I digress, such wonderful work from everyone! All of the different styles, and methods were just fantastic. I admit I will have to step up my game for next year. I feel that I am way out of my league here. But in a good way.

Exclamation Print Exchange Update

I will post an updated list on Monday, 4/23 and ask for volunteers at that time.

I am waiting on an answer from two participants that did PM me. If we get enough interest from volunteers, we can make an additional group if you like, but we will need to fill Group 5 first. Thank you everybody for all your efforts and patience while we wind this year's exchange to its conclusion. I will open up the web gallery for uploads after Group 5 packets have shipped (the LFPF tradition).

Have a nice weekend!
    Darr

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    How you manage to get sharp pictures with the rear-end of a jet-propelled (?) plane opened and all that goes with the environment, etc, astounds me. Oh and lets not forget that you are shooting a 4x5" Speed Graphic and film! Talk about abilities!! I AM IMPRESSED!!
    Ok, now I'm really curious. Come on Canada Post, get yer act together!

I have no idea where I am now.
    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    How you manage to get sharp pictures with the rear-end of a jet-propelled (?) plane opened and all that goes with the environment, etc, astounds me. Oh and lets not forget that you are shooting a 4x5" Speed Graphic and film! Talk about abilities!! I AM IMPRESSED!!
    Darr,

I'm glad you enjoined the other photos. I have been very lucky to be surrounded by all kinds of interesting things to photograph and share. The postal worker comment was tongue in cheek. My address is an odd one. And due to it, getting mail can be interesting here. I do feel I need to step up my game mainly because I want to learn more. It not a bad thing in my eyes. The prints I got from the members are fantastic. Once I get back to my home station (I have been on the move off and on for almost 14 months now) I will be putting the up on my walls. They are all that good.

For how I get the shots to come out clear it depends on what I am doing, and how I am capturing the photo. But a few techniques apply for me no matter what.

First, while flying I shoot a lot of photos. Some of them are going to be blurry so I try to increase the odds of a good shot. For LF I shoot 3-5 shots of what I am trying to get. For digital it's 3-8 shots. At the end of a three hour flight works out to shooting up to 36 shots with the Speed Graphic and 1,200 shots with digital. Once I figured out how the exhaust flows out of the helicoptors 3 engines I was able to drastically reduce the number of wasted shots due to the blur they cause. But it can be used to induce the look of using tilt and shift in a pinch. I do feel that 1,200 shots is a bit much, so I started working on working on shooting better composed photos from the get-go. The Speed Graphic only goes if I am asked to bring it or I know we are going to see something new.

Second, using bone support and breathing control to shoot while relaxed. On the rifle range we are taught how to use our bones to support a rifle so we can hit a target over 1,500 feet away. Using only your muscles to support a rifle will cause it to shake. The same techniques apply for shooting a camera. That and VR lenses for digital, and the sheer mass of the Speed Graphic with a 12 shot magazine make for a much steadier camera to shoot with. This works while in the air or on the ground. Most of my photos are taken with out a tripod.

Third, for flying I keep the shutter speeds as high as I can. 400 speed film in broad daylight or fast lenses on the digital camera are what I used when I could. I try to keep it between 1/100-400 of a second so I still get some movement showing in the rotors. If I'm shooting something where I don't want to show any movement then I go for the absolute fastest shutter speed I can.

To be honest when I look at the photos I have taken I feel that they are ok photos. But I enjoy sharing them. I know that most of them are of things most will never get to see otherwise. There is too much to see in this world for one person to see in person in a life time. Photos can be used to take people around the world in the click of a shutter.

I'm new to film and photography in general, and I have loads to learn. I will admit that enjoy shooting film more then digital, but both have there place. I decided for my trip to Thailand I'm only taking film. My hope is that I can further improve my photography while I am there.

My group 3 prints have arrived
    Thanks everyone for your amazing images, and thank you Darr for making this happen once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    Darr,

I'm glad you enjoined the other photos. ...
    Kav, My son also enjoys your work. You are better than you give yourself credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Walker View Post
    My group 3 prints have arrived
    Thanks everyone for your amazing images, and thank you Darr for making this happen once again.
    Scott, you are always welcome!! Thank you!

Update!

I am still waiting on hearing from one participant before I can update the list, so it will be tomorrow!!
    Thanks everyone!

I really enjoyed your print Scott. I was specially interested in the analog prints. Thanks

Darr,
    My prints are in today's mail. Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it David.
    Thoroughly enjoyed yours and the others as well.