Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: View Camera magazine

View Camera magazine

Paul,

I agree, quiet time alone with the new View Camera with a cup of good coffee is one of those rituals that I look foreward to each month. The teen-age barristas at the local coffee house recognize my old jalopy when I pull into the parking lot and have my 'cappuccino according to john' waiting for me when I come through the door. Life is sweet!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

View Camera magazine

John, I get so much flak from people who just don't "get" why I love to sit and read in a coffee shop. Life is sweet when you can smell the roses, or in this case, coffee. Now I live in an area sans coffee shop and I can truly say that I miss it more than anything. But, thankfully, I still have a vast selection of reading implements that I still get every month that compliment my library of fine books.

View Camera magazine

I support VC because I think it reaches users who don't necessarily follow the internet forums.

Like Frank, I wish the writing were stronger, that they hired a proofreader, and that graphic quality were better, but all things considered, they're on the right side of things. The technical articles are well edited, but the portfolio reviews are pretty hit-or-miss. That said, one has to consider that writing aesthetic criticism for the audience of VC isn't an easy task--one has to avoid "artspeak" or talking down to the reader and still say something coherent, intellegent and interesting about the work.

I haven't received the current issue yet, but I'm not worried if they have portfolios I don't like. I still want to see them, just to be aware of what's going on.

View Camera magazine

in answer to the original question, I found the most interesting photo to be that durst enlarger ad - holy cow what an enlarger! Dear Santa, I've been very good this year...

Cheers all!

View Camera magazine

View Camera arrived today! Throttle back the espresso machine and lets take a look: Of the portfolios, I thought the Biological Inclinations of Tracy Longley Cook pretty interesting( meaning:I wish I'd done that.) Bart Michiels Southern Trilogy was, I found, disturbing yet interesting---in a disturbing kind of way. He mentions Blue Highways by William Leastheat Moon(I liked the book, but so far I'm not impressed with the author) and the WPA images of Walker Evans as inspirations and I find his 3 and 4 shot panoramas of dams and a power station remind me of the photos of irrigation projects that grace the walls of the local Farm Bureau offices...WPA style for sure, but somehow unsettling. I'll have to think about it. Two photos from Art Becker's collection stood out for me---the pair of eyeglasses left out in the rain and the blurry whirling dancers that reminded me of the "painterly" school, only in color. From Jeff Kay's portfolio one photograph, the night shot of the railroad platform in Montauk with the ghostly passenger train, was the most memorable for me.

Of the technical articles, Robert Havira's use of diopters as auxilluary lens I found interesting, as was Kerry Thalmann's piece on 6x12 on a shoestring---even though I'm not keen on 6x12, anything having to do with LF on a shoestring I find interesting and the shot of his wood finished Crown Graphic sure caught my eye. The small piece about the new Tri-X certainly grabbed my attention as I've been playing around with the stuff, trying to see if its a "go" in HC-110 dil."B" I would have enjoyed reading something more in depth but, alas, just a brief notice that the stuff is finally available. The piece about the new scan backs, the review of Velvia 100F and the use of software to correct LF pinhole images like NASA are not topics that are high on my list---actually they aren't anywhere on any of my lists---but were worth reading because:1) My priorities dictate that putting money aside for my kid's braces is more important than a scanning back or the "wunderkamera" to slap it on, but the article at least gives me an idea of what it would take to make a splash in the commercial photography gene pool 2)Norman McGrath always, I mean always includes something worth learning in his articles and 3)The idea of applying NASA technology to pinhole photography is so bizarre(to me) I find that it is way cool just to think about it. Well...time to lick up whats left of the foam from the steamed milk and powdered cocoa and go home...Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

View Camera magazine

After the sunset fades into darkness I pack my gear then drag myself back to my truck for the evening. I fetch some vittles (that’s southern speak for food) from the cooler, get my fill then disappear into my camper to read myself asleep with a freshly printed View Camera magazine. Dreaming the entire night about the beautiful sunrise that, I’m certain, will welcome me in the morning! Thanks Steve and the crew of VC for giving us such a great magazine!

Jerry Greer www.jerrygreerphotography.com

View Camera magazine

I couldn't help noticing that the largest spread of photos was contributed by one of VC's biggest advertisers, Lens and Repro.