Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: View Camera magazine

View Camera magazine

I just received the new issue and I'm afraid I must be missing something when it comes to the photographs chosen for publication.

I know opinions are like noses, everyone has one, but I don't find a single photo interesting.

View Camera magazine

Opinions are like noses? I've never heard that one, but I have heard them compared to another body part that's located toward the other end!

View Camera magazine

I was being "tasteful."

View Camera magazine

Actually, I quite like Art Becker's shots on page 8 and 9. I absolutely love the "Poetry's Motion" shot. It reminds me of a Degas, but more moving. Even though I prefer monochrome, this is one of those shots that jumped out at me. It takes me back to my trip to Paris a couple of years ago, ohhh lovely Paris. I am not sure how I feel about the still lifes of Tracy Longley-Cook, but it just isn't my cup of tea. I like Bart Michiels' "Tullulah Falls Dam" trilogy. I don't think that it is big enough to show all the detail though. I would like to see a full page spread of that, but I quess I will just have to hold my head closer. It's not the most visual issue I have seen, but it still had some good information in it and it makes me want to run around with my crown graphic.

View Camera magazine

I understand...there are some issues that leave me wondering also but by and large I find the magazine an inspiration: particularly articles by Gordon Hutchings and the like. A guy who kept his day job so he could be free artistically add infinitum. Other notables such as Dick Arentz, Carl Weiss, Ron Wisner etc. etc. I don't like all of their photos but I find what they have to say inspiring. There was one issue that featured a new photographer who makes 8x10 contact prints but I must say her images left me wondering where the beef was? I don't particularly care for Sally Mann or Diane Arbus, that is to say I'm not saving my money to hand one of their images on my wall but someone must or they wouldn't be where they are. So you're right we all have noses and I really like mine. I find View Cam Magazine to be much less about the equipment race and more about art, take a look at Camera Arts also.

View Camera magazine

I find View Camera a nicely balanced blend of photographs and techno articles. I have not seen a single issue with a high aesthetic average, but that's my nose. I always find something I can admire though.

Speaking of View Camera (or Camera Arts), I don't recall seeing anybody talking about the B&W Magazine, which to my nose is photographically superior to any photo publication, excepting perhaps the Lens Work. No techno in there, just a nice collection of all kinds of photography in each and every issue.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

View Camera magazine

The only really outlandish photograph I recall was in the annual contest the magazine puts on. The winners appeared in the Nov./Dec. 2002 issue. The winning photograph in the "architecture" category was a front-on picture of part of a sofa with table in front, a chair to the left, and a door behind it. In other words, the photograph many of us would have made if we were compelled for some reason to make a photograph showing part of our living rooms. I thought it was a joke but I never saw anything more about it so I guess it must have been the only photograph submitted in the "architecture" category and the editor felt compelled to give the award to somebody. If anyone has the Nov./Dec. 2002 issue and can explain why this photograph is an exceptionally good architectural photograph I'm open to hearing about it but I certainly was puzzled. Overall though I think the magazine is very good, every issue has things I like and usually some I don't like too but then they don't publish the magazine just for me.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

View Camera magazine

personally I see photo mags this way. Lenswork great printing, great articles, pretty good but conservative images. View camera, good info, gennerally just ok but sometimes very good images. b&w very hit and miss. pdn info, with some great and some really horrible images, more of a photo gossip mag. Blind Spot a keeper the only one I collect always challanging and interesting images. Aperture to caught up in it's own past can be great.

View Camera magazine

I enjoy View Camera Magazine, even though in a momentary lapse of judgement, the editor rejected my work for publication.

View Camera magazine

Normally, B&W is the only photo magazine I buy off the shelf without checking the contents first. This month it was a big mistake -- even the usually interesting advertisements were boring.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)