Thread: Carrying case for 12x20 Korona

Carrying case for 12x20 Korona

I picked up a nice Korona 12x20, lens, holder and finally film, but don't know how to carry the equipment comfortably and safely in the field. I did a search in the archive and can't seem to find the answer. I basically need a case, preferably a soft padded case, with an interior dimension of approx. 26"L x 9"W x 20"H. Would be great if I can find one off the shelf without having it custom made. Also, can anybody help recommend archival sleeves for storing the negatives? Thank you in advance for your help, I'm very excited to make my first 12x20 contact print.

Henry,

I believe the Beckel Canvas Company in Portland Oregon makes panniers that size. You are using a pack mule, right??;-) Wyoming Outdoor Industries makes poly pack boxes with tight fitting lids that might work. You could pad it to fit, then fix it to one of those wheelie carts folks use for heavy suitcases, files, etc...Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Check out:

http://www.strebor.com/StreborAirCases.html

Henry,

Another place is CDC... Case Design Corp. Look for them on the web. They'll do custom dividers in their cases, and I think they have very reasonable prices.

---Michael

If you search the web for filmholders.com you can contact Alan, he makes soft or hard cases.

CP Goerz

I have a Strebor for my 11x14 camera and padded septums for the film holders that do their job admirably. But no matter how you slice it, as a seasoned Montana cowboy once told me - it is a long hard pull. But there is a reason that we subject ourselves to this punishment. Irrespective of its inherent difficulties, nothing quite beats a nicely executed contact from a ULF camera.

One of those German made compact pull carts that are rated at #200 are a must for anywhere where you have flat trails or roads.

Once you find a suitable case, you might consider a folding golf cart for easier portability, Henry. This one cost me about $65 at a local golf shop.

Nice wide wheels for sandy terrain, and reasonably compact when folded. Here it is with a large LowePro pack and a Tamrac rolling case.

Thank you all for the responses. I like the Strebor case design, I will try to contact them on Monday. That's a clever looking cart, Ralph...I hadn't considered all the other equipment. The Korona is actually fairly light, my guess is about 18-20lbs, not that much heavier than my Deardorff 8x10, but with the weight and bulk of the other things, I guess I need something like that so as not to be restricted to photograph near the car. Thanks again, this is a great forum.