Thread: Fading RC prints

Fading RC prints

Several of my framed prints are fading. They are from 2 to 5 years old. All are on display, some in areas lighted with windows, some with florescent lights, and some with high intensity incandescent lighting. The print begins to change color in the midtones, showing a beige and pinkish color. As this gets brighter, the midtone gets weaker. I am concerned as to the cause. My processing has not changed in many years. I wash my prints well, but do not treat with a toner for archival purposes. Mostly, I use Freestyle Arista EDU RC glossy paper, but others as well. I don't know which paper prints were made on. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and can give me some information as to the cause. I have considered ultraviolet light, processing, and now material. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Fading RC prints

The RC prints are reacting to the closed enviourment of the frame, the print is a de- silvering.
    I stopped printing RC for this reason very early in my printing career.

This issue has been debated to death with those swearing that RC prints will not fade and are much like Fibre Base Prints, and others like myself who have seen framed RC prints go this way.

The manufacturers and Sales agents will tell you its something you have done , I happen to believe that RC is problematic in frames and you are not alone .
    There is nothing you can do to save these prints ... sorry.

Big Negs Rock!

I agree with Bob and have had similar experience. You could try Selenium toning, or a Sepia toning to change the silver into a stable compound.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Early B&W RC prints were even worse, if stored in plastic files the emulsions bleached. There was a reaction with the plasticisers.

Some papers are better than others, I think Ilford solved the problems back in the late 70's or early 80's.

Like Bob I've not used RC papers for my own work since the mid 1980's. As Mark says Selenium toning may help.

Ian

Download (free, at least for now) the text of Ctein's book, Post Exposure -

http://ctein.com/booksmpl.htm

- and read the section on RC print stability.

Thank you all for your help. I have learned much. I am now at a crossroads about further use of RC paper. Toning it might be a solution, but I see that even toning is not a total solution. What a shame!! RC paper is so much easier to work with than fiber based paper, but it may come to having to go back to RC again. Again, thank all of you.