Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batch printing and consistency

Batch printing and consistency

This is related to my question about printing portfolios. Essentially, I'm looking for tips people might have for ensuring consistency when printing a group of prints from the same negative. I've printed as many as 35 prints from one negative in one printing session (headshots, oh how I hate thee) and I've had better luck with it recently, but there's always a little more variability between some of the prints than I'd like. Obviously establishing a consistent working method is important, as is keeping an eye on your chemistry so you don't let something go a little too long, but other than that what ideas do you have for making sure you can put together a consistent group of prints? If I'm going to make 20+ prints from one negative, complete with dodging, burning, etc, what can I do to make one print as close to another as possible? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Ansel Adams, and Paul Capinegro both have said that they have to make 10 prints to get 5 usable ones.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Oh I still anticipate over-printing and using the best ones, I'm just trying to minimize variances within everything I print.

Depending on how complex the dodging and burning is, I think the best one can do is to watch the timer closely, and try to start each action at the same time in the countdown. The other alternative would be to make a mask that would allow straight printing.

One source of inconsistency, in my experience anyway, is the electronic timer. I have had two of these, different brands, and I don't trust them anymore, I could tell and later see that the timing was off. A metronome works better for me.

I have found that several things are important to assure printing consistency. 1. Take copious notes when making your first "final" print. These notes should include enlarger elevation, lens f.l., aperture, filtration, exposure time and specific routines for dodging and burning, paper type and developer type/dilution. 2. Always try and do things the same way with the same materials. 3. Don't be afraid to retest when starting a new session or using a new batch of even the same paper type. 4. Always keep a sample of the finished print nearby and make certain you have a feel for how that print "dried down" so you will be able to make adjustments accordingly. 5. If possible, make a doging/burning mask to avoid any but the simplest types of burning, such as edge or corner burning. This way you will save a lot of time and avoid mistakes. 6. If you are making a series of portfolios and you know the number you will end up with, try and print just one image during a session and complete the whole run at once.

I routinely make as many as a dozen clones in a session with total consistency. I ruin only a print or two when getting started as I will often find a hair or dust speck on the neg that I didn't notice at first. After all, why have to retouch the same hair or dust speck 12 times?

Use a metronome.

Print all pictures from same negative at the same time and only from one box of paper or from one emulsion number.

Use a compensating enlarger timer and a compensating developer timer.

Use paper from one box only.

Write out a detailed exposure 'script' with all dodging & burning steps.

Expose several sheets and develop them all together in cool developer.

Check out Adams' 'factorial' method of determining print development time.

These things help me achieve about 90% consistency within a session. Oh I forgot the hint for the final 10%: don't make any mistakes.

One method that always worked for me was to tape record myself describing the steps I was going through. Subsequent prints were made while listening to my 'script'. Gives you both timing information and direction about technique.

The path to consistency is to ruthlessly eliminate variables. Before tackling the bigger problem of making prints with burning/dodging/bleaching/etc. make sure that you can make two straight prints which match exactly.

I found that I could do this only after I started timing print development and establishing a fixed pattern for print agitation (I flip the prints by hand in trays).

Once you have that nailed, move on to burning and dodging. I find that using a programmable timer and a foot switch were keys to getting consistent burning and dodging - the programmable timer I use (a RH Designs StopClock Pro) allows me to program each burn/dodge as a separate independently adjustable timed exposure. I hit the footswitch, the enlarger comes on for the next step, then goes off. When I'm ready for the next step, I hit the footswitch again, and get the next exposure. Between exposures, the safelight comes on so I can read my printing notes.