Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scanning 8x10 B&W film

Re: Scanning 8x10 B&W film

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    The agfa only does hi-res down a narrow strip in the middle of the platen.

A bunch of us are working on a DIY design using a dslr to scan film in small bits and stitch them together. So far the results are promising. See: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=84769&page=11 Posts #105 and #108.

See also Rick's test at: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=84769&page=17 post #170.

Hm. Sorry about that. I'll try again:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=84769&page=11
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hm. Sorry about that. I'll try again:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=84769&page=11
    Pete,
    I'm impressed! This looks really good and I pretty much have everything I need. John

That's great, John. Give it a try and let us know how well it works for you.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

My Microtek i900 does a great job. The i1800 does a superior job.
    I have not seen an Epson which would hold a candle to either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I had read that a "good" Microtek scanner can do some amazing things, but never ever thought I'd own or buy one. Well, I thought wrong! I contacted a friend that lives about 125mi away and ask him to be on the look out for a scanner that I could use for scanning some of my 8x10 film with. I figured he might have a lead on something since he's a camera/photo nut too. He emailed me a couple of days ago and said he had a Epson 1600 scanner he would give me, but it might need a little work. I said great and it's worth a try fixing it. He just emailed me again this morning and said he was giving me the Epson 1600 and he had a "like new" Artiscan M1 that he almost never used and I can have that one also. I'm still in shock, but extremely happy. Oh, he also said he'd drop it off at the middle of next week so I don't even have to go get it. You can't beat that with a stick! I'm sure I'll be back here getting some tips on how to run the thing. John

Nice score, John!

Nice score, John!
    Yes, I certainly wasn't looking to get by this cheap. I suppose I should take him out for a bite to eat when he gets here. I've done a few favors for him so I think this might be just a little pay-back. Still darn nice of him and I really appreciate it. John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Not something I needed to hear...LOL)!!! I donated my i1800 because it was sitting around too long with me thinking along the lines of the "pros" on this forum saying it's either drum or high end flatbed, or go home. I was thinking, I don't care to have a proofing scanner since I like KISS principle and do the scan, be done with it sort of thing.

I was going to say for the OP to send the film to the place across the boarder (West Coast?). It has been a long time, but no, it's not a scan, but what they do is use an enlarger to make very beautiful 16X20's at a very reasonable price. The person that referred me said the quality was the best he has seen from anything and I know that this same place does all sorts of high end drum-enlarging-even graphic arts, etc. stuff, but the main front man in charge knows his stuff when it comes to this very important area-printing, where, well, if 16X20 is all the OP needed for some of his negs, would be well worth seeking out.