Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighting the darkroom

Re: Lighting the darkroom

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I just installed a "growlight" flo panel over my "work" desk and they do indeed glow but only faintly and for a short period. I seriously doubt that the glow can really affect papers after 20 secs have passed.

My problem is that once in a while, when the light is off, there's occasionally a flicker of light. This happens about every couple minutes or so. Not sure why.
    Does it have a base like CFLs do? There could be some capacitors in its circuitry, or something in the unit that has some capacitance, that's discharging after the light is off.

Simple incandescent bulbs or halogen bulbs.

The halogen bulbs are hot and can quickly heat up a small room. Flourescent tubes or cfl's have an afterglow which can fog photosensitive materials. I tried to replace my halogen bulbs with cfl's and t did not work due to the afterglow.

Picture Snappin' Fool Black Lightning's Avatar

I don't know if this has been recommended yet but a fluorescent light can be made into a safelight. I do realize this is not what you are looking to achieve but this seems tangentially relevant to this thread.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uorescent.html

Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    Leigh, I should have mentioned that I have a Thomas safelight, but I wanted a light to use to evaluate prints and replace the small Ott light I have been using, as well as lighting the room when I am not actually printing. But yes I agree, wrong choice for a darkroom.
    These are a little on the costly side, but after 2 years I'm still on the same set of bulbs. I spend between 4 and 12 hours a day in the darkroom and it was worth spending a little extra to have some decent task and print-viewing lighting. There is a slight filament glow after shutting the lights off (I have mine on a dimmer) but it only lasts a second or two. The only problem I have with them is they are an extra source of heat in the summer. https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlisto...rproofkit.html