Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off to Forks & La Push!

Off to Forks & La Push!

To shoot sea stacks, light houses & waterfalls. Any recommendations/suggestions?
    This will be a road trip so are there any possible "targets of opportunity" close to to I-5 to check out on the way up (or back?)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Off to Forks & La Push!

LaPush is a great spot. 1st and 2nd Beaches are very popular. But Rialto is probably my favorite in that area, on the other side of the Quillayute river from LaPush.

While you're here check out Kalaloch- about 20 miles SW of Forks on 101. Wonderful long stretch of distinct beaches. The burl forest near Beach 1 you have to see to believe. Ruby is probably the most popular beach in Kalaloch, and most crowded. If you're into rock formations here are some great fretted sandstone formations at Beach 3. Here's a good DNR write up of the geologic formations between the Quillayute and Hoh Rivers- http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online...2/contents.htm

Between Forks and Kalaloch is also the Hoh Rain Forest. I haven't spent much time there but it is popular.

Also Lake Crescent between Forks and Port Angeles is pretty spectacular. There is a short hike to Marymere Falls, the trail head is just past the Storm King ranger station. But it can be awkward to set up a tripod on the trail in front of the falls.

If you like alpine stuff and make it as far as Port Angeles, check out Hurricane Ridge too.

Have fun, it's a great place to go exploring. It can get crowded in the spring and summer, but if you're an early riser you can have most places to yourself till 9-10 am.

Miraculous thing about the Olympic Peninsula – you have primitive beaches w/ sea-stack studded surfs, turn around, look up, and you see snow-capped mountains, walk inland and you’re in a primitive rain forest under gigantic, fern-laden trees.

In the evening, watch for beach-roaming black bears eating shell fish dinners!

One tip: bring binoculars for all the the sea fowl. Love those Harlequin ducks.

Bring rain gear.

South of Forks is the Hoh Rain Forest. If you're into big moss covered trees and the like it's great.
    South of that is Lake Quinalt, with the Quinalt Lodge right on the lake.
    East of Forks is Crescent Lake.
    All on Hwy 101, so you're going to go by at least one of these things.

The I-5 part isn't as scenic compared to running up the coast the entire way. Newport Or, Crescent City Ca, Astoria Or, etc... all have their attractions. Light houses, sea lion caves (Oregon somewhere), beaches, bridges and the like, with historical sites like in Astoria (and I'm sure others) all along the way. The RedWood forest in Northern California is pretty cool too.

In comparison, Forks is really just a logging town with it's biggest claim to fame until recently was that it was the rainiest city in the US, which is what attracted the writer for Twilight to use it in the movie/books. She hadn't been there before.

This will be a father/daughter trip as my Claire is entering high school and I fear quality time together will be getting rare. She picked Forks because of Twilight. I'm quite pleased that there is some 8x10 worthy scenery (and seafood!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Forks is pretty depressing. Now it's all Twilight-themed shops trying to cash in. The biggest attraction is the 'Welcome to Forks' sign. There's usually more tourists at that sign taking pictures than in the rest of the town.

It would be cool to take the coast route up from California (we're gotten into Oregon in the past) but alas, not enough time--I don't want to have to take those curveys on two wheels! We'll certainly cover a part of the coast route though. I'd really like to see Astoria.

I was at La Push in 1972 on a honeymoon trip, I remember hiking about 1/2 mile up the beach to the north of town while weaving in and around huge washed up tree trunks and then leaping from one to another without touching sand all the way back. Amazing experience and I only wish I could dance along those those piles that way again. One of the most spectacular series of visuals in my entire life.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

John, be sure to get hold of the tide info for WA beaches. Numerous folks have been trapped when the tide rolls in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    John, be sure to get hold of the tide info for WA beaches. Numerous folks have been trapped when the tide rolls in.
    Will do!