Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Web gallery software recommendation

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Web gallery software recommendation

Ahhh, ok. I just figured out the problem (but not the solution).

According to Apple:

Avoid Framesets

In general, avoid using complicated framesets that rely on the ability to scroll individual frames because there are no scroll bars on iOS.

On the desktop, frames in a frameset can be independently scrolled as shown on the left in Figure 1-1. On iOS, scrollable frames in a frameset are expanded to fit their content and then a frame is scaled down to fit its region as shown on the right in Figure 1-1. Scrollable full-width inline frames are expanded to fit their content, too. All other scrollable inline frames can be panned using the two-finger gesture. See “Two-Finger Events” for the events generated from the two-finger gesture.

Because there are no scroll bars on the inline frames, this is not an optimal user experience for viewing web content on iOS, so avoid using framesets. Instead use columns as described in “Use Columns and Blocks.”

This creates an interesting puzzle for any web gallery that's to work both in iOS and on the desktop. I suppose an ok fix would be to just have forward and back arrows for navigation, like most people have. If those existed, then it wouldn't matter so much that the thumbs were hard to use.

I still don't know how to implement those.

I've been using a free package called (very cleverly) Gallery. It's in its third major iteration now, and covers the basics quite well. I use the greydragon theme and run it on a linux box at home, with dyndns providing the link to the URL (which is in my sig). I only use it casually, so you may find it lacking for something more professional.

If you think you're interested, the home page for the software is the first Google hit under "gallery".

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Ahhh, ok. I just figured out the problem (but not the solution).

According to Apple:

Avoid Framesets

In general, avoid using complicated framesets that rely on the ability to scroll individual frames because there are no scroll bars on iOS.

On the desktop, frames in a frameset can be independently scrolled as shown on the left in Figure 1-1. On iOS, scrollable frames in a frameset are expanded to fit their content and then a frame is scaled down to fit its region as shown on the right in Figure 1-1. Scrollable full-width inline frames are expanded to fit their content, too. All other scrollable inline frames can be panned using the two-finger gesture. See “Two-Finger Events” for the events generated from the two-finger gesture.

Because there are no scroll bars on the inline frames, this is not an optimal user experience for viewing web content on iOS, so avoid using framesets. Instead use columns as described in “Use Columns and Blocks.”

This creates an interesting puzzle for any web gallery that's to work both in iOS and on the desktop. I suppose an ok fix would be to just have forward and back arrows for navigation, like most people have. If those existed, then it wouldn't matter so much that the thumbs were hard to use.

I still don't know how to implement those.
    Framesets are very passé. Use Javascript and divs and for the scrolling div use the css overflow:scroll style. This is the current tech to replace framesets and will work on iOS. So you can retain the current look and feel of you site on iOS but it will take some work.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

I'm still working on making new web galleries for my site, but I've been using the "Impact" plugin for Lightroom by Photographer's Toolbox. Their web site is here: http://www.photographers-toolbox.com/index.php and they have several gallery plugins available. I've been really happy with what I've been able to do with it.

Note that I use the standard Impact plugin, as opposed to their Impact WSPP plugin, which is slightly different.

You can check out some of my galleries here: http://www.davidrmunson.com/images/index.html

I've been looking for good web gallery software since 1995. I don't think any such thing exists, they all have compromises. It's like picking political candidates... lessor of the evils.

So just jump in and do something, you'll be wrong and dissatisfied but at least your images will be up!