Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: sacrilege?

Re: sacrilege?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Mopar...
    Oh Yeah -- The only car, er truck for me is a Mopar.

Did someone say Mopar?

Short wide + 440, '64 Polara + 440 So much fun!!

Thanks again to everyone that chimed in on this thread. I've enjoyed it a lot even though we wandered a bit...

I've not had time to do anything to the crown since removing the range and viewfinder. Mostly because I've been too busy using it! It has become my "truck cam" going everywhere with me in a small day pack with two dozen film holders. I've gotten to play with it a lot and I've run through quite a bit of x-ray film in the process. I even took it with me on our last fishing outing! I may be one of the very few people who carry a 4x5 for snapshots while out fishing but it's been a blast not to mention the look on my friends faces the first time I said "Let me get a picture of that before you throw it back" and reached into my pack. They are used to me carrying weird old cameras but weren't ready for this!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    yeah well

I'm pretty happy with the 350/400 sitting in my Studebaker Lark

now..if I break down in some backwater..I can walk into any parts store and presto - off the shelf parts

also..there is plenty of ways to mod it out and a pile of aftermarket parts..unlike the stude inline 6 that was in there previously
    Of course if it wasn't a Chevy engine it probably wouldn't break down

Seriously though, It's just uncreative. If you bought the car that way and really like driving it, thats what matters. It's made to be driven, and if it gets driven more with a Chevy 8 than a Studie 6, that's fine.

I just don't like when people put a 350/TH400 in a super-high-end street rod or musclecar, ripping out a 4 speed in the process, and think they're all clever for doing it that way.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Shades of Purists...

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Nowhere near as bad as the heretic who put a 302 Ford engine in an E type Jag. That warranted being impaled on an old driveshaft. JMHO
    And yet Rover and a couple of other companies bought small Aluminum V8 engines from General Motors... Pontiac or Buick aluminum block...(218 cu inches I believe) and put them in their cars rolling stock off the assembly lines. Hmmm!

And my two Ford 302 conversions were a SBF 302 in a MKII Midget, and a SBF 302 in a 1983 BMW 633i. Major improvement on reliability and performance in both cars.

"Hack" the camera. You'll never seriously tap the vast inventory of them in the market place. If the camera is near stock, I would not modify it, but I prefer to buy camera's sold primarily as parts or repair cameras, and then have my way with them. Pretty much the way I used to date.

In fact, here is a link to a modified Crown Graphic which I find very attractive. Little bit of teak and some manual labor. Sweeeet!!

http://home.online.no/~gjon/crown99.htm

Then there is this link to a number of links for DIY camera builders:

http://home.online.no/~gjon/camerabuilders.htm

Tons of good ideas on many of the sites linked here.

Go for it!

Re: Shades of Purists...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    And yet Rover and a couple of other companies bought small Aluminum V8 engines from General Motors... Pontiac or Buick aluminum block...(218 cu inches I believe) and put them in their cars rolling stock off the assembly lines. Hmmm!

And my two Ford 302 conversions were a SBF 302 in a MKII Midget, and a SBF 302 in a 1983 BMW 633i. Major improvement on reliability and performance in both cars.

"Hack" the camera. You'll never seriously tap the vast inventory of them in the market place. If the camera is near stock, I would not modify it, but I prefer to buy camera's sold primarily as parts or repair cameras, and then have my way with them. Pretty much the way I used to date.

In fact, here is a link to a modified Crown Graphic which I find very attractive. Little bit of teak and some manual labor. Sweeeet!!

http://home.online.no/~gjon/crown99.htm

Then there is this link to a number of links for DIY camera builders:

http://home.online.no/~gjon/camerabuilders.htm

Tons of good ideas on many of the sites linked here.

Go for it!
    New URL:

http://jongrepstad.com/building-a-la...raphic-camera/

My camera lders page will be available by the end of October.

Jon Grepstad
    http://jongrepstad.com/

The E-Type should have had a V-8 to begin with. Look at what Shelby did with the AC Cobra!

Nothing beats displacement.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Foamer

After thinking it over very carefully, I give you my permission.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by UberSquid View Post
    I would never put a 302 in an E Type! I'd go for a 429!
    That might be the sacrilege. A 302 goes in with no modification of the Jaguar frame save for the mounts which go on the original mounts with bolts. A 429 needs to have everything cut up to make it fit. Series III do the same with SBC in place of the V12. The V12 is cool and everything but it is a pain in the ass. www.johncars.com

Re: Shades of Purists...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    The tooling was mouldering in a warehouse and GM sold it to Rover who make there own engines with it. They have modified and improved a lot of the details.

Monster engines in a Spridget are funny looking. Like a weightlifter who only does arm work and ignore the legs. Big arms, skinny little legs.