Thread: Help- scratches on transparencies!

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Help- scratches on transparencies!

I just got back about 100 4X5 Velvias from a four day photo trip. I sent them off to a mail order lab with bargain prices on E-6. About 3 or 4 of the transparencies have small scratches in the middle of the film, in addition to those annoying clip marks that are always in the corners of "dip and dunk" E-6 processed film. There was also a few lint marks on a couple transparencies, even though they were all quickloads, and I've never seen any before. Although I won't mention the name of the lab in this post, has anyone else had this type of problem? Is the money saved (about half the price of the average E-6 cost) worth the aggravation? Should I just shoot more film, or should I try a different lab? To be honest, I've had a few similar problems with more expensive mail order and local processing...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Try www.4photolab.com - Edgar Praus's lab in Rochester - they do mail order and they have never scratched my film. You get what you pay for.

Brian, Please give us the name of the lab. I'm sure others would like to know. If you have said nothing that is incorrect, you have nothing to fear as a result. If you don't wish to, I can understand, please tell us the name of the city and perhaps an initial or two.

Anoher plea for the name of the lab. I havve been thinking about several mail order labs for awhile and do not want to mess with the one you just used. Also, what is "about half of regular price?" I pay $2.00 a sheet to gt the film back sleeved. That contrasts to about $1.10 when I do it myself.

A scratch on 3 or 4 out of 100 isn't too bad is it? Shouldn't be too big a deal to fix them up in Photoshop anyway.

Imagine if 4% of cars sold were expected to break down. I'm sure most consumers would be unhappy with those odds. Would you be satisfied if your electricity or water service was down for 4 of every 100 days, or about 24hrs/month? I know I wouldn't be. Why should a photo lab be treated any differently?

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I think we can say more like 60 or 70% of cars will eventually break down. The reason that I hesitate to mention the name of the lab is that I've had similar problems with other ones, both mail-order and local (Albuquerque, NM) that charge significantly more. Perhaps these labs view the release of liability that you're required to sign as a free ticket to abuse your film. Does anyone out there have any experiences to relate as far as how many times similar things have happened to their film?
    Brian Vuillemenot

In the last three years of shooting, I've had just one transparency which was scratched in processing. It was a trial shot with a newly made 4x5 camera, and so was not a big deal. The lab called me as soon as they found the scratch. When I arrived, they had replaced the film with two more sheets of the same film, there was no charge for the extra sheets or processing of the original film.

I would have to call this excellent service and honesty. I still use this lab exclusively. One vote for Photographic Works here in Tucson, Az.

Another vote for photographic works. They have never messed up any of my film. Granted I do not shoot 100's of shot at a time.