Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LED Lamp House for Omega D- Series Enlargers

Re: LED Lamp House for Omega D- Series Enlargers

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    ...would like to know the price of one of these suckers...How long or how many exposures do you figure...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Lamp-Hou...item1c22aa8e3e

Price seems very reasonable for what's apparently gone into it. Rated life of the light engine is quoted as 35,000 hours.

I am going to save my pennies and give this item a go. Who would have someone would take the time to make such an interesting unit for equipment so dear to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Lamp-Hou...item1c22aa8e3e

Price seems very reasonable for what's apparently gone into it. Rated life of the light engine is quoted as 35,000 hours.

This is a LED lamp for a condenser head, you still need the condensers, right? Or does this replace the condensers like an Aristo head?

If this is a LED lamp for a condenser head, you may, or may not know that the big-bulb incandescent lamps for the Durst 8x10 condenser heads are no longer available. This type of setup may be beneficial to those folks. I believe the 8x10 condenser heads need at least a 3" frosted illuminated circle to project an even image with the condensers. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=74895&page=3

This just replaces the incandescent lamp house. You still need the condensers. That was part of the idea - create a cold light that preserves the features of a condenser head with its sharpness and accentuation of film grain.

With respect to the Durst dilemma, there are Cree light engines available in both American and European voltage versions that would be a good start for anyone who wants to try to make one. The LMR4 has a 4 inch aperture and would be a good choice.http://www.cree.com/products/modules_lmr4.asp
    You may have to modify the diffuser to get the evenness of light you need as well as create some sort of housing to fit on the Durst. These modules are very reasonably priced. There is a youtube video showing some of the possibilities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz7Pl-zimRI

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    This is a LED lamp for a condenser head, you still need the condensers, right? Or does this replace the condensers like an Aristo head?

If this is a LED lamp for a condenser head, you may, or may not know that the big-bulb incandescent lamps for the Durst 8x10 condenser heads are no longer available. This type of setup may be beneficial to those folks. I believe the 8x10 condenser heads need at least a 3" frosted illuminated circle to project an even image with the condensers. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=74895&page=3

Just wanted everyone to know that I have dropped the price on the LED lamp house to just cover my expenses and a little for the time it takes me to make it. This is a product that I think many people in this community would benefit from and I would like to make it as affordable as possible. I have enough parts to make three of them. Whether there will be any more depends on the reception these first three get.

That looks very nice. Good work! If I had an Omega, I'd get one for sure.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by cardiomac View Post
    ...I have enough parts to make three of them. Whether there will be any more depends on the reception these first three get.
    The eBay listing now shows "ended," so I assume they got a good reception.

I have an old D5 lying around, but am only shooting 5x7 these days. Any chance the light source could cover 5x7?

Since posting these for sale I changed the paint to a black wrinkle finish that matches the original finish on the Omega. I'll post a picture when I get to a computer ( I'm doing this on my phone) but it looks really nice. So I sold the original one (thanks!) and next I'm going to post the new ones in a new eBay listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    The eBay listing now shows "ended," so I assume they got a good reception.

No, this lamp has an active light zone that occupies only the central 3 inches of its lens. This was done to match the light source to the condensers built into the enlarger. As far as I know, most 5x7 and 8x10 enlargers are of the diffusion type.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I have an old D5 lying around, but am only shooting 5x7 these days. Any chance the light source could cover 5x7?