Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many photos is enough?

Re: How many photos is enough?

As a writer in photography as well asa photographer, I asked this question to many photographers. The Large format guys say 1 or 2, the portraitists say 4 to 6, the photojournalists are a different breed of cat. Cartier-Bresson said one will be enough if you know what you are doing, however several prominent members of that fraternity will admit to dozens or a couple of hundred. The "junk" I am seeing among digital photographers do hundreds to thousands and editing becomes an attrocity.

Lynn

Back in the Speed Graphic days, the editor would send his junior photog out on assignment with one double sided film holder. "That way, you've got a backup in case your first shot doesn't turn out!"

Reminds me of the Soviet conscripts sent into Stalingrad in the fall of 1942. They counted off by 2's; one man carried a rifle and a clip of 5 bullets, the second just had bullets. "When the first rifleman is shot, his partner picks up the rifle and continues on!"

Or you keep shooting the same subjects the rest of your life, seeing more each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Or you keep shooting the same subjects the rest of your life, seeing more each year.
    Basically my theory -- I have been photographing along Prairie Creek (under the redwoods) for over 30 years. Started with the Rollei, then 4x5 to 5x7 to 8x10 and occasionally 11x14. First silver gelatin prints, now carbon prints and platinum prints.

It is nice to get out of the redwoods occasionally (tho I have to be careful when sun hits my bellows and causes steam to form inside)...Yosemite, Death Valley, Central WA, etc. I bring back what I have learned about the light in those places to the redwoods.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I like this alot. It has occurred to me that many powerful images I have viewed come from photographers who know their subjects intimately. This permits knowledge of advantageous lighting and perspective combinations. My strongest images (to my eye) are of subjects I know well, mainly portraits of family members. I am working on an image now which is starting to take shape, after having tried different compositions, lenses and (outdoor natural) lighting conditions.

I have a few strong images of new-to-me subjects, but these are the exception and not the rule.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Jones View Post
    Cartier-Bresson said one will be enough...
    In my case, one can sometimes be too many...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."