Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

I've brought this up more than once in the past but never asked anyone to build it. There are enough smart folks here who can rig all sorts of things with electronics and cameras. Here's what I need:
    1. A shutter release that terminates with cable release threads on the end of a 16" flexible wand so it can connect to most any mechanical camera AND fire copal shutters while attached to something like the hot shoe socket.

2. It must be wireless up to 100ft, it could use an existing electronic sender/reciever (like a remote household switch) or from scratch.

3. The ability to set times from 1 second to 30 seconds and also function with a copal shutter's T mode (hit button once for open, once for closed).

4. will function in cold weather, below freezing if need be.

I know there are mechanical gadgets that come up on ebay which attach to your cable release or screw directly into the shutter. I'm not interested in those, at all.

Who's gonna build me one and how much will it cost?

Re: I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

cable release hooked to a
    12v automotive doorlocking Solenoid $10 (at a junkyard) hooked to a
    12v relay $10 (optional) hooked to a
    Packet Flux SiteMonitor Base Unit II $95 (web interfaced power controller) hooked to a
    normal home wifi AP $35
    on a 12v switching power supply or gel cell battery ($25)

There are many web-controllable relay products on ebay if you're after something a little more integratable than the packetflux product.

remote:
    Wifi equipped android or apple tablet/pda of choice, as long as it has a web browser, or laptop. You'll be as high tech as a Nikon D4.

great, let me know when it's done. iphone control would be great, good idea.

Just to be clear, I'm not interested in building it myself. I'm quite handy but would rather spend my time doing other things.

The fastest response time (and quickest build) will probably be to use an existing wireless flash trigger and add a solenoid circuit to that. I appreciate multi-purpose devices, and really like the YongNuo RF602, a very fast switching flash trigger which is good to at least 100 yards and costs something like $30 or so on eBay, and also is set up to work as an electric cable release with a provided cord. Now, if you had a Super Graphic with an integrated solenoid release, you could pretty easily wire it into the YongNuo and you'd be set. Otherwise, it's a matter of finding a solenoid and wiring in a battery for it on the output side of the Yong Nuo or other wireless device. I'd scrounge an old photo solenoid, not an automotive one as the potential vibration won't be such an unknown.

In all seriousness, I would love to have one of these too. Now that we've increased the size of the market the cost should come down.

Whatever the device would turn out to be it would be nice if you could control the time on a bulb exposure with it.

www.timeandlight.com

Whatever the device would turn out to be it would be nice if you could control the time on a bulb exposure with it.

www.timeandlight.com[/QUOTE]

Exactly, that's part of my criteria. I think these would sell quite well, if they existed and were less than $100

Foamer

I've been using CyberSyncs. I get 150 yards out of them, plus another 150 in relay mode. Using lithium AA batteries I've used these in temps down to -32F below zero with no problem. I routinely use them in temps in the -20 to 0 range with no issues. For bulb mode, I just hit the trigger manually.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've been using CyberSyncs. I get 150 yards out of them, plus another 150 in relay mode. Using lithium AA batteries I've used these in temps down to -32F below zero with no problem. I routinely use them in temps in the -20 to 0 range with no issues. For bulb mode, I just hit the trigger manually.

Kent in SD
    Attached to what?
    I don't get it. Please post a pic or a link to what you're using.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Attached to what?
    I don't get it. Please post a pic or a link to what you're using.
    I attach the CyberSync transmitter to either the hotshoe on my Nikon D300 camera, or to the PC sync post on the shutter of my large format lenses using a short sync cable. One end has the standard female PC connection, the other just has a micro plug that goes into the CyberSync. It's simple plug & play.

From FlashZebra.com

You need #0030 to connect transmitter to the Copal (or Compur) shutter post. Email Lon at FlashZebra and he'll fix you up:

http://www.flashzebra.com/wizardcables/index.shtml

You need CyberSync transmitter on the camera, CyberSync receiver (CRST) on the flash. The cable needed to connect CSRB to the flash depends on what flash you have. CyberSyncs come with those cables for flash (but not to connect to camera/shutter.)

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

fyi, I'm not using strobes.