Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything missing from my survey of 4x5 pan neg films?

Anything missing from my survey of 4x5 pan neg films?

Now that Agfa has discontinued the manufacture of APX100 in 4x5 (confirmed for me by Agfa's John Auer earlier this week), I did a quick survey of the black & white pan films still available in 4x5. I checked B+H, Calumet, and Freestyle. I did not include ortho or reversal films:

- Arista: Arista Pro 125 (25- and 100-count boxes), Arista Pro 400 (25- and 100-count boxes). [Arista products are available in U.S. through Freestyle Photo. They are widely believed to be made by Ilford and equivalent to FP4 and HP5.]

- Bergger: BPF-200 (25-count boxes).

- Forte: Fortepan-200 (25-count boxes), Fortepan-400 (25-count boxes).

- Fujifilm: Neopan Acros-100 Quickload (20-count boxes).

- Ilford: Delta 100 (25- and 100-count boxes), FP4 Plus (25- and 100-count boxes), HP5 Plus (25- and 100-count boxes).

- Kodak: 125PXP (100-count boxes), 100TMX (50-count boxes and ReadyLoads in 20-count boxes), 400TMY (50-count boxes), TP (50-count boxes), 320TXP (25- and 50-count boxes), EKP (100-count boxes).

- Maco/Cachet: Macophot Aura IR820c infrared (25-count boxes), Macophot IR820c infrared (25-count boxes).

- Polaroid: Type 55 P/N (20-count boxes).

Okay, what have I missed? Are there any other panchromatic negative films available to us 4x5 users? --James

1. PXP in sheet film is discontinued as well as Ektapan.....

2.Foma, Gigibit, J and C Classic, Adox, and Efke all available in sizes from 6x9 cm to 20x24 inches at www.jandcphotography.com

Clay

The Efke films being imported by J and C.

Here:

http://www.jandcphotography.com/

PXP discontinued, but you can stock your freezer at half price here:

http://filmart.com/cgi-bin/filmart/item_list/cat149/Sheet_Film_B_W.html

Ulrafine from Photowarehouse, reputed to be Ilford FP-4(not FP-4+) plus, if you've got a paper trimmer, several Kodak aerial films available on 5" rolls, one being an incarnation of Kodak Panatomic.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Sorry, thats Ultrafine!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Fuji Acros 100 in boxes of 20 sheets and 20 Quick Load for 4x5 and boxes of 20 for 8x10. Available View Camera Store and Badger.

Thanks so much for your responses! I had a sneaking suspicion that I had overlooked some smaller producers.

I could not verify the availability of Ultrafine, Foma, or ADOX films in 4x5. (I don't know how my post ended up under the "Films, roll" category, which is not what I selected. Sorry for any confusion.) I took another look at Kodak's site, which appears not to be fully up-to-date. And yes, Fuji does package Neopan for use in regular holders--it's just hard to find, and I needed to cast a wider net for suppliers. [By the way, isn't "Gigabitfilm" about the worst--or at least the wierdest--name you could give a film in this period of photographic history?!]

Anyhow, for the record, here's a revised list of 4x5 black & white panchromatic films now in production, as packaged in boxes of ready-cut sheet film. I checked B+H, Calumet, Freestyle, JandC, the View Camera Store, and Photowarehouse. I did not include ortho or reversal films:

BLACK & WHITE PANCHROMATIC NEGATIVE FILMS IN PRODUCTION AS OF NOVEMBER 2003, PACKAGED AS BOXES OF 4X5 SHEETS

- Arista: Arista Pro 125 (25- and 100-count boxes), Arista Pro 400 (25- and 100-count boxes).

- Bergger: BPF-200 (25-count boxes).

- Efke: PL25 (25-count boxes), PL100 (25-count boxes).

- Forte: Fortepan-200 (25-count boxes), Fortepan-400 (25-count boxes).

- Fujifilm: Neopan Acros-100 (20-count boxes and Quickloads in 20-count boxes).

- Gigabitfilm: Gigabitfilm (25-count boxes).

- Ilford: Delta 100 (25- and 100-count boxes), FP4 Plus (25- and 100-count boxes), HP5 Plus (25- and 100-count boxes).

- JandC: JandC Classic 200 (25-count boxes).

- Kodak: 100TMX (50-count boxes and ReadyLoads in 20-count boxes), 400TMY (50-count boxes), TP (50-count boxes), 320TXP (25- and 50-count boxes). [Box quantities may have changed with the recent re-labeling.]

- Maco/Cachet: Macophot Aura IR820c infrared (25-count boxes), Macophot IR820c infrared (25-count boxes).

- Polaroid: Type 55 P/N (20-count boxes).

Anything else? --James

You might want to double check your info from J&C or fotoimpex.de. I recently purchased Efke PL100 from J&C, and it came in 50-sheet boxes in 4x5". Also, there is J&C classic in 400 speed. Maybe some of the films you were looking at were out of stock. You might want to follow the links back to the original websites. J&C Classic and ClassicPan from fotoimpex.de are relabeled Fortepan.

Helpful to show the varied emulsions still available. Another way of looking at it is to identify where sheet film is still being made: Kodak (US), Ilford (UK), Fuji (Japan?), FOMA (Czech Republic), Efke (Croatia) and Forte (Hungary). My guess is that Maco is made at one of the above? Are there any sheet film factories in India or China? As others have mentioned, certain brands are (obviously) made at one of the above and repackaged, like the generics in our grocery or drug stores. There was a plant in East Germany-ORWO-but I don't know if it is still active? Corrections and elaborations welcome? BTW: Fomapan 100 is a superb film and worth a try. CHEERS.......