Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Wang in View Camera

Re: Sam Wang in View Camera

It may be quite a big little site soon because it is full of useful information that cant be found elsewhere. Sandys article adds very little that cant be found in the book, its a promotional piece to sell a very worthy book.

Eric Biggerstaff

Sandy,

Thanks for introducing me to this artist, I was not familiar with his work and would not be today if you had not decided to publish this in VC. I often find new sources of inspiration in the old, familiar places!

Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

My thanks as well; an excellent contribution to an excellent publication.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks for the positive comments with regard to the article in View Camera about the photography of Sam Wang. Sam is a wonderfully creative photographer and I am pleased that the article has introduced his work to some who had not previously seen it.

And thanks to Steve Simmons for publishing the article about Sam.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sam is a wonderful phototgrapher.

But I have a major beef with him, when I hosted him up North at our Bunkie, we went out to photograph some rock formations, It was not raining that day and after about 10 minutes Sam asked me to get water to flow from above on the rocks, sure enough the great Canadian host that I am , I went out and found a flower bucket and filled and poured the water to his placement.... So if there are any images of Canadian Rock formations in that article I want credit.

I have seen a lot of Sam's work in person and he truly is a photographer of note.

Bob,

All your work in pouring water on the rock was for naught. Sam was shooting IR with one of his home made cameras and unfortunately it had some sort of light leak that ruined most of exposures that day. The camera had worked well for him with regular B&W film but the use of IR film revealed a fatal flaw.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Unfortunately, the stores I usually pick up View Camera from do not have the copy. So, if anyone has one they'd like to sell... please PM me.

Thanks

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Regarding the Cone article, it is now on the Agnostic Print site as well-

http://theagnosticprint.org/the-stat...n-black-white/

I hope this puts to rest the occasional references to Jon as an ink salesman, he is a consummate innovator and printer. Anyone wondering about the amazing Ashes and Snow exhibits will find a short description in this article. The ultimate ink prints. There is no one doing anything like this stuff.
    Sorry to be focusing on this part of the issue, of course this stuff is my passion and additionally I am part of the article so biased. The rest more dedicated to photography directly is also great, still a wonderful magazine, and now pretty much standing alone.
    Tyler

I still remember the day two friends and I ran into Sam photographing in some big gorge in Georgia, can't remember the name. One of my friends knew him and we all spent the day together photographing, then we had dinner with Sam that night. A delightful man to be around and as Sandy says, a wonderfully creative photographer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I still remember the day two friends and I ran into Sam photographing in some big gorge in Georgia, can't remember the name. One of my friends knew him and we all spent the day together photographing, then we had dinner with Sam that night. A delightful man to be around and as Sandy says, a wonderfully creative photographer.
    I bet that was Tallulah Gorge which is a little more than an hour drive from Clemson University. Sam used to take his MFA students there to photograoh, and I accompanied them several times.

Karl Wallenda walked on a wire across the Gorge back in 1970, a year before I came to Clemson. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...3863/index.htm The anchors that were used to string the wire are still there.

Sandy