Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new film

Re: Possible new film

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    What about having somebody coat your emulsion for you?

I'd like to see a high-speed B&W film, like 3200. Ilford will custom cut their roll film, like Delta 3200, into 4x5 or 8x10 sizes, but for one person the cost is too much and the quantity is too huge.

IR like HIE takes special dyes, and so far nobody has come up with a real substitute. All current products currently fall short.

The New55 project is actually ready to move into production, but I'm sure they'd still appreciate help.
    3200, even something like Delta 3200 which is really 1000 with low contrast so very pushable, would be interesting in LF sheets.

HIE and Type 55 definitely but both have special challenges. If HIE were easy to make Efke would be making it instead of IR film that as an effective filtered speed of 1.5-3, as Brian says.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    A 1600 or 3200 speed film in 120, 4x5 or 8x10 would rock my lf world.

or something like Panatomic X or APX 25
    There might be a market for a slow film in 4x5 (but Adox and Efke have them, no idea if they're any good as I haven't tried them) but TMX is so good, as long as Kodak is around there isn't much use in going slower. Delta 100, while not as fine grained as TMX, probably also beats old style 25-50 speed emulsions, probably with the exception of the lamented APX 25. Some would like that but it's just too slow for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Of course I'm biased as a color neg shooter. However there are many current options for B&W film and only one in the US for color neg, and it may not be around for long.

So there may be an opportunity to fill a real void in the market. Portra 160 is beautiful, so clone that, sell it in 50- or even 100- sheet boxes and I'd buy it...
    Portra 400 and Ektar.

There just don't seem to me to be any real "holes" in B&W. Even if Kodak goes away I think pursuading Ilford to bring back Delta 400 (and maybe XP2 Super as well) in sheets would have more chance of success and be far easier than making something like TMY-2. Not that Delta 400 is a replacement for TMY-2 (before I get outraged comments telling me that.) I know it isn't, but it's finer grained than old style films of 400 speed.

There's a lot missing or potentially about to be missing in color, not so much in black and white which is well supplied. Make something like Astia. I just shot my first roll of it in 120, having used it some in 35mm, and it's such a lovely film, a real sham to lose it. OTOH it isn't going to be wet printable without internegs now that Ilfochrome is gone, so maybe bring back type R paper. I know I keep saying that, but I miss it.

A film that would behave similar to Kodak IR film. In 4x5 and 8x10.

I'd buy a high-speed (b&w) emulsion in 4x5 (1000 or faster like TMZ, Delta).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

As Andrew and Brian said, a real infrared sheet film.

Another option would be really slow film. Maybe some iso6 or something. That I would be interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorR View Post
    Another option would be really slow film. Maybe some iso6 or something. That I would be interested in.
    Why?

Genuinely curious. If you really need film that slow you could get Adox or Efke 25 and use a two stop ND filter. That would give you EI 6, assuming the original rating of 25 is accurate.

That's seriously slow. Motion studies with long shutter speeds in bright sun maybe?

I'd like something along the lines of Kodak Copy Film -- slow but easily controlled (high) contrast!

25 ISO colour film.

For a really niche product, how about a positive b&w E6 film?

I too love to dream up business ideas, most of which never leave my head or paper. If I were to undertake something of this nature I would try working with an allready established film manufacturer. Not to rebrand one of theyre products but to parlay off they're experiance and established manufacturing processes. Not to mention that they have allready forked out all the money for equipment. This would also give you an avenue to pursue distribution through one of they're distributors/importers. I personally would love to have a 200-400 iso BW film as well as true 800-1000 iso BW film in 120 up through LG format sizes with ULF special orders. I believe there is a market for such films but in no way see this as a major money maker. QA/QC is where I believe you'd need to concentrate after coming up with your desired product. Just my .2c
    Doug