Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new film

Re: Possible new film

Probably a strange request, but I recently could have used a black and white positive film...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

But there are not many US Steel makers-correct? & there most likely will always be some people making images using alt processes that do not require out of the box materials. So the people that do make the materials themselves, will be able to express themselves regardless of the culture and latest technology. If your talking raw commerce versus art undoubtably the lead technology will determine how the producer works, but not the artist that choses a less linear path to making art and can decide to use a new technology or a less new one. There are no dictates the way I see it, and there really never have been relative to existing or out of practice technologies.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

In what format? Its still made by EK.

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Probably a strange request, but I recently could have used a black and white positive film...
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    But there are not many US Steel makers-correct? & there most likely will always be some people making images using alt processes that do not require out of the box materials. So the people that do make the materials themselves, will be able to express themselves regardless of the culture and latest technology. If your talking raw commerce versus art undoubtably the lead technology will determine how the producer works, but not the artist that choses a less linear path to making art and can decide to use a new technology or a less new one. There are no dictates the way I see it, and there really never have been relative to existing or out of practice technologies.
    I'm not sure how you think steel or oil paints are related to film, but yes, there are many US steel makers. U.S. is the third largest producer of steel in the world, after China, Japan, and the *European Union.

Yes, anyone can make marks any way they like, including in the dirt with a finger or a toe, but that has nothing to do with my point, which is that it's harder/more expensive to innovate in a mature technology than in an emerging one. My comment that the market for film (as opposed to the technology) is dying, stands.

I really don't know where that stat comes from, top ten producers of steel 2010 all headquartered in China and Japan. Its connected to jobs, EK and wether a small start up company can find enough customers to remain in business or even make a profit.
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    I really don't know where that stat comes from, top ten producers of steel 2010 all headquartered in China and Japan. Its connected to jobs, EK and wether a small start up company can find enough customers to remain in business or even make a profit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eel_production

You say it's connected, but you don't say how. I've lost interest.

Just because you can not draw a straight line does not mean they don't exist.
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

There's no denying that the market for photographic film continues its decline (after falling off the face of the cliff). The analogies to other industries just confuse the issue. Neither steel nor artist's oils have ever faced existential threats.

Jay is right that mature markets can be tough to break into, but there are countless success stories too. How about three Seattle examples: Mike's Hard Lemonade, Starbucks and Amazon all entered mature markets with an uphill battle.

Film is becoming a more and more specialized niche, but this actually opens up more possibilities. Smaller production runs mean more agility, and more specialty emulsions. As big companies jack up the price of film, it leaves a space for start ups to undercut them.

The market for film will never completely die, just as the market for gouache will never die.

Ben,

I agree on most of your points, but none of your Seattle examples entered into mature technologies with demands in free-fall decline. I think that's significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Ben,

I agree on most of your points, but none of your Seattle examples entered into mature technologies with demands in free-fall decline. I think that's significant.
    Not to mention that none of them are R&D intensive nor do require any specialized technical expertise (for R&D or for operations). Only Mike's Hard Lemnonade could be called a manufacturing company. Starbucks and Amazon are ostensibly retail concerns. Amazon did not manufacture anything until recently and that only after building a strong core business and amassing hugh cash reserves.