Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new film

Possible new film

By my very nature I am an entrupanurer. I am always dreaming up business ideas and products. I also have a degree in chemistry and have plenty of engineering connections. After starting LF I realize there is still plenty of need for quality film products, especially in the LF and MF arenas.

In the intrest of feeling out the market before I invest a substantial of time, money and energy, how open would you be to a new brand of film?

Assume the film is competativly priced and available in a few different flavors. ie color neg, and different iso's.

Also, if I were to start something of this nature, what would you like to see in a film and film company? That is, what characteristics are important to you?

Re: Possible new film

You should get the book "Making Kodak Film" by Robert Shanebrook and see what is involved. It is a very substantial effort to make color film.

I'd like to see you re-create Kodachrome.

Good luck, Jeff.

I would defiantly start with black & white, but the difficultly is not a concern at the moment. I am more concerned about marketability

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
    If it is something akin to the characteristics of PlusX or SuperXX I'd buy!

Quote Originally Posted by dexmeister View Post
    I would defiantly start with black & white, but the difficultly is not a concern at the moment. I am more concerned about marketability
    For black and white, I can't personally see switching from Ilford. I love HP5, FP4 and Delta 100, and they are all still available for 8x10 on down to the smaller formats I shoot. Those three cover any imaginable need I have for b&w film in the absence of Kodak.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    If it is something akin to the characteristics of PlusX or SuperXX I'd buy!
    Thanks! This is what I need to know. What do people want in a film? both B&W and color?

If I am going to do this I want to create a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    For black and white, I can't personally see switching from Ilford. I love HP5, FP4 and Delta 100, and they are all still available for 8x10 on down to the smaller formats I shoot. Those three cover any imaginable need I have for b&w film in the absence of Kodak.
    Also, thanks! If people are happy with their current offerings that is just as important.

Hi Jeff,

Think 800 ISO speed with the grain structure of 100 or 200 ISO.....then you would be doing something many folks here would purchase even at a higher price regardless of what other makers are producing. I like B&W. Some times C-Neg.

I put the most important thought in my first sentence and if you chose read the rest it may help also

I have tested many films over the years at the wholesale level and have quite a bit of experience dealing with photographers from the stand point of customer service and answering technical questions related to those films. To be blunt: photographers are some of the most pediantic customers you will ever meet, given to all sorts of bizzare and fallacy driven ideals related to what thier "vision" is and how the product being sold should perform to manifest that vision. Would I personally buy your film to give it a try? Sure I would as would most anyone here on this group. For me to purchase said film over say Ilford, it would have to be a unique product that fills a need. My suggestion.....maybe a 400-800 speed Black and white film that has resolution on the order of Tmax 400 or Ilford Delta 400. Ilford discontinued 400 Delta a few years back, It was unique for me in that I found it took the PMK developer stain unlike the Kodak films. It was a very resolute film for 400 and allowed about an extra stop of exposure which is a plus for 4x5 shooters, "the majority of LF users" -because you could enlarge it to 16x20 without grain.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com