Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new film

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Possible new film

What about having somebody coat your emulsion for you?

I'd like to see a high-speed B&W film, like 3200. Ilford will custom cut their roll film, like Delta 3200, into 4x5 or 8x10 sizes, but for one person the cost is too much and the quantity is too huge.

IR like HIE takes special dyes, and so far nobody has come up with a real substitute. All current products currently fall short.

The New55 project is actually ready to move into production, but I'm sure they'd still appreciate help.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

A 1600 or 3200 speed film in 120, 4x5 or 8x10 would rock my lf world.

or something like Panatomic X or APX 25
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Of course I'm biased as a color neg shooter. However there are many current options for B&W film and only one in the US for color neg, and it may not be around for long.

So there may be an opportunity to fill a real void in the market. Portra 160 is beautiful, so clone that, sell it in 50- or even 100- sheet boxes and I'd buy it...

I would think that trying to copy any recent film would bring up enormous legal issues with patents making the whole enterprise a bit of a nightmare.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Between Foma, Ilford, Efke and Orwo there is no shortage of quality s-l-o-w sheet film emulsions. IMHO Foma 400 has yet to prove it's mettle in sheets and the only other fast films I know of are HP5+ and Delta, so Ilford has that end of the market covered---which should be a concern to us all should any misfortune should befall Ilford.

Aside from going head to head with Ilford on the fast end, I'd think a quality true 200 ISO like the old Forte or perhaps a good TXP replica would do well if the price was reasonable, especially if the reciprocity characteristics were less daunting than Fomapan 100.
    YMMV
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by dexmeister View Post
    By my very nature I am an entrupanurer.
    Yes, I see. I believe you meant entremanure?

Maybe making an extreme or unusual film would be easier to market than trying to make a more conventional product that competes with Ilford's and Fuji's. Extremely high contrast, extremely grainy, weird color shifts or something that appeals to the Holga crowd (in which case you can save on QA ).

...Mike

Most of my major film needs are currently met, but I could not live without Velvia 50 and Astia 100F, should they ever be discontinued.

I would buy, TriX, IR HIE and Aerochrome equivalents in large quantities, if you were to make it available.

I want a fast LF film in 5x7".

Color would be diggiddy dank yo

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Of course I'm biased as a color neg shooter. However there are many current options for B&W film and only one in the US for color neg, and it may not be around for long.

So there may be an opportunity to fill a real void in the market. Portra 160 is beautiful, so clone that, sell it in 50- or even 100- sheet boxes and I'd buy it...
    I'm sure Kirk is right that there are legal ramifications with copying recent films.....but if Portra 160 goes away I for one will need a replacement. No offense to anyone, but I personally have no interest in shooting black and white unless its 3 negs with RGB filters to combine in PS to make a color image....but i really hope it does not come to that.....
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com