Thread: Epson 4990 and CS5 not working

Epson 4990 and CS5 not working

Hi,
    I just got CS5 and found that it doesn't recognize my 4990 on the Import list.
    After a bit of Googling, I found a few Twain drivers that were supposed to work, but they didn't.
    I also downloaded the latest driver from the Epson page, but again, it didn't work.
    I'm on a Mac, v10.6.8; I can't use PS in 32-bit mode, so I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Epson 4990 and CS5 not working

I don't bother using the TWAIN driver.
    I use EpsonScan as a stand alone application and then open the file with Photoshop.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

This is how I work, too – I scan w/ my 4990, then name & save the file as, say, a TIFF into an appropriate folder on my drive.

In a separate step, I use PS (CS3) to locate the file, open it, and work on it. My PS does work w/ TWAIN and importing, I just never use it that way.

* Ari, remember that the scanner must be connected to the computer & turned on; otherwise, if you try to use the import function, PS will give an error message, “Epson Scan can not be started,” etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    This is how I work, too – I scan w/ my 4990, then name & save the file as, say, a TIFF into an appropriate folder on my drive.

In a separate step, I use PS (CS3) to locate the file, open it, and work on it. My PS does work w/ TWAIN and importing, I just never use it that way.

* Ari, remember that the scanner must be connected to the computer & turned on; otherwise, if you try to use the import function, PS will give an error message, “Epson Scan can not be started,” etc.
    It seems that's the way I'll be working, at least until I upgrade my computer to OS 10.7 or higher.
    The scanner is on and plugged in, and it always worked perfectly with my CS3, too.
    Since buying a 5DII, I've had to upgrade my PS, and now, it seems, my computer.

Thanks for your replies.