Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Bankruptcy Sale At Penn Camera

Re: Bankruptcy Sale At Penn Camera

I am actually surprised that Penn is closing some of it's stores. At least twice a week a visit both the E Str and Rockville stores - I work close to Penn and live close to Rockville. On Thursday I was at Penn E Str. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary I.e packed with costumers or sale/closing signs.

I have bought a lot of 4x5 films at the E Str store. They keep a few used 4x5 and MF gear and i have bought holders, Omega enlarger, Pentax Spotmeter. LF lenses etc.

I would agree that service is lousy, particularly at the Rockville store. It is different at their E Str store, I think because I wear a suit and bow-tie during the week!

In fact, a fes weeks ago I bought a mint 50mm Nikkor enlarging lens for $15 bucks. I buy all my darkroom supplies at Rockville - sad they are going to be closing both of my favourite locations.

I am not a fun of Ace Photo - Moe has attitude too! Well that is the nature of this business

Tautatis!

Rockville signage in-store 20% off on b/w darkroom paper and chem...waiting for a deeper discount -- lots of inventory.

i was there today. All darkroom stuff 30% -no one was touching it. I got a changing tent, Kentmere box of 250 papers, and two bottles of HC-110. They have a ton of papers in shipping boxes. It seems like they will reduce the prices even further. The E Street store may have more interesting stuff because of their rental department. I will check it out tomorrow.

Tautatis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Shanesy View Post
    I have to wonder, since I live in the DC area - is Pro Photo still in business?
    As of last month it was.

http://www.prophoto-dc.com/

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    ...after christmas i read that sears and kmart are closing several stores because of low sales during the holidays.
    Sears (who owns Kmart) and Kmart will be closing an estimated 100-120 stores this year.

-Joshua

I stopped by the Tysons Corner store today. Not a lot there. There are some darkroom papers and a modest selection of Kodak chemicals, plus a selection of inks and mostly Epson inkjet papers up to 17x22 (plus maybe a dozen 24" rolls).

They had the usual lots of small-format digital stuff, and a very small selection of used stuff, though nothing that I saw in medium or large format.

They had ink for 24" and up Epson printers, and for Epson consumer printers, but I didn't see ink for the 3800.

I bought some 4x5 negative Printfiles and a couple of discounted batteries for my Canon 5D, but they were sold out of the other batteries we use.

Rick "recalling that the Tysons location has always been oriented to the consumer end" Denney

I went to the Rockville store today. The darkroom supplies are discounted 30%--which brings them pretty close to B&H prices. One of the salespeople said they were slightly optimistic about keeping the three stores open, but it seems pretty shaky. I hope they can survive, but I'll be surprised if they make it to 2013.

I was at the E Street Store this afternoon. They did not have much except for paper and a few chemicals I asked about the status of the store, they said, the owners have not been forthcoming with staff during the whole process. However, they think, they may have one or two stores around. Rental stuff were not for sale.

Tautatis!

I have had really great experiences at the E Street store. Ken in rentals is an excellent guy and very knowledgeable about LF items.

Scott Davis

If they're not selling the rental gear yet, that must mean they're planning on keeping at least one store open... but things don't look good.